View Full Version : Suggestions For Best PDA Car Mount?

Brad Adrian
07-25-2006, 01:14 AM
For the first time, I'm looking for the best way to mount my Axim 51v in my car. I've seen all kinds of gadgets, and don't really need anything that charges the unit or anything.

What suggestions do you have for me?

Darius Wey
07-25-2006, 04:09 AM
I use Arkon's Docking PDA Mount (http://www.arkon.com/aximmount.php). It charges the unit, so if you're after one that's not as "high-tech", there is always the Universal PDA Mounting Kit (http://www.arkon.com/pdamount.php), but if you plan to use this PDA + mount solution for GPS, I would definitely suggest you go for a powered mount.

Brad Adrian
07-25-2006, 10:13 AM
Thanks, Darius. It looks as though the Arkon (or clones thereof) are pretty much the state of the technology. The dash on my van is pretty deep, so do you think those goosenecks will be long enough, or should I go for the cup-holder thingie?

Darius Wey
07-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Actually, the flexible arm of some of Arkon's mounts is shorter than usual. I only just managed to get the Docking PDA Mount to touch my dashboard, and I have a Corolla. So, it may not suit your van too well.

The cup-holder or vent mount may be better in this case.

BTW, I reviewed the Docking PDA Mount. If you're interested in reading it, here's the URL: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,45900

Brad Adrian
07-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Thanks, Darius, I did read your excellent review.

I think having something as all-in-one like the one you reviewed may be overkill for my needs, but we'll see. I did have one question, though, about the one you reviewed and/or similar Arkon holders.

How does the holder connect to the Pocket PC to deliver the power? Is there simply a plug, like a regular synching cradle? From some of the photos of similar holders, it almost looks as though there's a USB port on the holder and you use a device-specific sync/charge cable to connect to the Pocket PC.

Thanks!

Darius Wey
07-25-2006, 01:29 PM
How does the holder connect to the Pocket PC to deliver the power? Is there simply a plug, like a regular synching cradle?

There's a connector modelled into the Docking Mount, which is unlike universal mounts which usually use sync cables.

From some of the photos of similar holders, it almost looks as though there's a USB port on the holder and you use a device-specific sync/charge cable to connect to the Pocket PC.

Unfortunately, Arkon's Docking Mount doesn't work like that. The connector is built into the mount itself, so there's no way to swap it for another connector without replacing the entire mount. But if you get a universal mount, you'll get the functionality you speak of.

Pdaholic
07-25-2006, 06:54 PM
I just wanted to add that if you get one that attaches to the windshield, beware that you will likely get alot of vibration that will make viewing the device more difficult. I have an Eclipse and a Lotus, two cars with very long windshields, so I had to get the long gooseneck holders from Arkon. I was initially very disappointed because the vibration that transmitted from the windshield to the device was very annoying. The best fix was by bending the gooseneck so it touches the dashboard on the vehicle. This helped with the vibration. On one of the cars I used a piece of duct tape to hold it to the dash even tighter. Not the most attractive, but I can at least do a quick glance at the PDA screen while driving, and actually be able to rapidly read what is on the screen.

BTW, I don't condone reading while driving. I don't do that. My PDAs serve as media players while driving, that's it. I have had them attached to my various vehicles over 5 years, and never had a problem, so please, no flames regarding PDA use while driving.

Sven Johannsen
07-25-2006, 07:34 PM
Brad, I absolutely love the Proclip concept as far as the car attachment piece of the puzzle. There are two parts you know, How it hooks to the vehicle and how it holds the device. Proclip has, IMHO, the definitive way of connecting to the vehicle, as long as your vehicle is supported, and as long as you aren't looking for something you can move from car to car. The Proclip is easily removable, but it is specific to the car model.

I actually have an Arkon powerd mount attached to my Proclip thing to hold various PPCs, but you can take a look at what Proclip has for that as well.

http://www.proclipusa.com/Default.asp

Darius Wey
07-26-2006, 04:59 AM
The best fix was by bending the gooseneck so it touches the dashboard on the vehicle. This helped with the vibration. On one of the cars I used a piece of duct tape to hold it to the dash even tighter. Not the most attractive, but I can at least do a quick glance at the PDA screen while driving, and actually be able to rapidly read what is on the screen.

If I may add, one thing that helps is shoving the cables between the mount and dashboard. Often, with short arms, the mount fails to touch the dashboard by a few millimetres. The cable spaghetti helps fill in the gaps and dampen vibration.