View Full Version : Just aquired Compaq iPaq H3765

CaptApollo
07-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Hi,

Just got this unit with the expansion back, 56k modem, cradle, and folding keyboard for nothing. It needs a new battery, its life is about 30 minutes. I found replacement batteries for $30. My question is, is it worth the $30 to replace the battery? I am a dedicated Palm user, and will probably never change, but I want to learn more about Pocket PC. I am in IT and should know more. Is it upgradeable at all? How much more time do you think new apps will run on it? I am interested in using it as a remote control at home, and possibly some ham radio stuff.

Thanks in advance for your help,
John

Janak Parekh
07-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Just got this unit with the expansion back, 56k modem, cradle, and folding keyboard for nothing. It needs a new battery, its life is about 30 minutes. I found replacement batteries for $30. My question is, is it worth the $30 to replace the battery?
Well, you can evaluate the iPAQ without using it on battery, as the AC adapter should be pluggable directly into the iPAQ. Obviously, it won't give you an idea for the battery life, but it should be enough to test most of the device's functionality.

As to the value, it depends on your budget. The 3765 is a bit long-in-the-tooth, with an older screen technology, no internal memory expansion without a sleeve, no built-in wireless, old Pocket PC operating system, etc. I guess I wouldn't, but that's because I spent the money on a newer device. If buying a newer device is out of your budget, and you like the WM environment on the 3765, then the $30 may be well-spent.

I am in IT and should know more. Is it upgradeable at all?
The latest OS supported on the 37xx series is Pocket PC 2002. I think that's what shipped with it. It is certainly expandable in storage and other functionalities by using one of many iPAQ sleeves.

How much more time do you think new apps will run on it?
I think you'll find most classic Pocket PC apps will run fine, but only some of the modern apps will; in particular, I don't think .NET Compact Framework 2.0 is supported on Pocket PC 2002.

I am interested in using it as a remote control at home, and possibly some ham radio stuff.
I don't know much about HAM radio, but I think it could be used as a remote control. Griffin once manufactured (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=35495) a powerful IR add-on for Pocket PCs that works via the headphone jack, although I think it's since discontinued. (The integrated IR on the 37xx isn't "consumer-grade" and probably will suffer from range issues. There may be other units as well, or third-party ways of obtaining the Total Remote).

--janak

CaptApollo
07-19-2006, 05:37 PM
Hi,

I just wanted to say thanks for your reply, it was very helpful. I am just playing with this and not looking to switch from my Palm. I would not mind having one of the new ones just to play with, but I don't need it for productivity or anything like that.

I have been playing with it on AC, and for the half hour it lasts on my bus drive to and from work. I will probably spend the $30 on the battery. I never know what I will do with something. It may just end up in a drawer or on E-bay.

Thanks again for your help.

John.

coosbaytv
07-23-2006, 08:23 PM
CaptApollo:

I too am a Palm OS guy and have recently aquired an IPAQ 1930 device for the same purpose (also free).

This device is WM 2003 and to me that has made all the difference in the world.

My NX70V Clie still has a lot of value to me but this IPAQ is opening a new world as far as an online and streaming experience.

I have spent $40 on an SD WiFi card so far and can't believe what this device can do!

To top it off, I actually made 2 free long distance phone calls via Skype for PPC this week from WiFi with incredible clarity. This IPAQ is an ARM 200 MHz processor and the requirements for Skype are supposed to be 400 MHz and above!!!!

So far, I am sold.

So, to answer your question I would say you need WM 2003 to make any headway in relevant knowledge of Windows Mobile. But when you do...
watch out!

Jay

Brad Adrian
07-23-2006, 08:35 PM
...Just got this unit with the expansion back, 56k modem, cradle, and folding keyboard for nothing...
You know, I've got a pretty big collection of Pocket PC accessories sitting somewhere in a box, and I bet I've got some that I used with my 3760 way back when.

If you like, contact me via the personal message feature on this site (the PM button below), and I'll see if I can send them to you.

coosbaytv
07-23-2006, 08:38 PM
hey CaptApollo or Brad:

I could use a keyboard for this IPAQ 1930 if you are not using it...

Jay

CaptApollo
07-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Hi Jay,

There is definately some appeal to the Windows Mobile devices to me, but I just have too much invested in Palm to switch any time soon, and I am not into the cell phone thing anymore. I got to play quite a bit with the WM5 device that the previous owner of the IPAQ bought and it is sweet. Have fun with it.

Brad, I sent you a PM.

Thanks guys.

John.

Menneisyys
07-25-2006, 09:15 AM
I am in IT and should know more. Is it upgradeable at all?
The latest OS supported on the 37xx series is Pocket PC 2002. I think that's what shipped with it.

Yes, the 37xx series was shipped with PPC2k2 by default.

Menneisyys
07-25-2006, 09:18 AM
To top it off, I actually made 2 free long distance phone calls via Skype for PPC this week from WiFi with incredible clarity. This IPAQ is an ARM 200 MHz processor and the requirements for Skype are supposed to be 400 MHz and above!!!!

It has a Samsung CPU, which is far better than Intel XScale CPU's operating at the same speed. For example, this is why a 266 MHz Samsung iPAQ 1940 has beaten a 400 MHz iPAQ 2210 in my SuperTux benchmarks.

Menneisyys
07-25-2006, 09:19 AM
I will probably spend the $30 on the battery. I never know what I will do with something. It may just end up in a drawer or on E-bay.

I'd also get the replacement battery. The old iPAQ's are not bad devices and about half of current apps still run on it. That is, if you have children in your family/neighbourhood, you can just pass the iPAQ to them later when you don't need it any more - they will certainly love its gaming capabilities.

Menneisyys
07-25-2006, 09:24 AM
I am interested in using it as a remote control at home, and possibly some ham radio stuff.

As Janakh has pointed out, the iPAQ 36xx/37xx officially doesn't have a CIR module. However, its IR module is much stronger than those of most non-CIR PDA's; this means you may be able to control your equipment with the PDA even from 10 feet away (this is my experience), depending on the circumstances.

There are a lot of nice infrared remote controller apps. Of them, I'd recommend either NoviiRemote or RemoteControl II (http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&p=1023&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1) the most. However, alternate titles are also worth checking out; see http://pocketpcmag.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17874 for a complete roundup.

Menneisyys
07-25-2006, 09:28 AM
How much more time do you think new apps will run on it?

About 30%...40% of the newest gaming titles support PPC2k2. New application software ditto (for example, Opera Mobile or NetFront 3.3 don't support it). In my software reviews, I always test the PPC2k2 compliance of the tested game/app; if you follow these reviews, you'll get a picture what brand new titles support this "old" OS.

As Janakh has pointed out, CF2 doesn't support PPC2k2 any more. However, most apps are (still) CF1-only, which is compatible with PPC2k2.

CaptApollo
07-26-2006, 08:53 PM
Hi all,

I just wanted to say thank you for all the great replies. You guys sure are helpful. Unfotunately, my wife broke her knee and is in a nursing home for a while so taking care of the house and my 2 boys is taking most of my time, so I need to wait a little while to try some of the apps you mentioned for remote control. There are also others that I know of that will integrate with home automation via wireless that I am looking forward to playing with.

Thanks again,
John.

Brad Adrian
07-26-2006, 11:35 PM
...so I need to wait a little while to try some of the apps you mentioned for remote control.
What do you need a remote control for when you have two boys? Make THEM change channels for you.

That's the main reason my parents say they even HAD me!

CaptApollo
07-27-2006, 01:32 PM
:D :D :D Hah! Good point! Same here. But, my music system is all computerized and a little advanced for them, and it wouldn't be right to get them out of bed to change the stereo or the movie.

Brad Adrian
07-27-2006, 02:39 PM
...it wouldn't be right to get them out of bed to change the stereo or the movie.

Oh, I see. You're one of those "progressive" parents.

rim
09-23-2006, 09:08 PM
There are a lot of nice infrared remote controller apps. Of them, I'd recommend either NoviiRemote or RemoteControl II (http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&p=1023&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1) the most. However, alternate titles are also worth checking out; see http://pocketpcmag.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17874 for a complete roundup.

Hey, why don't you like the Noviiremote? IMHO, the Remote Control II is a very complicated software, with lots of bugs. I tried it several times, but never liked it. The Noviiremote Deluxe is definetely easier to use and very functional.

Moreover, the noviiremote is compatible with the iPAQ 36xx/37xx. The novii's site states the range wil be over 20 feet. Have you tested the noviiremote on this pda? :evil:

I checked your blog, and read the roundup carefully. The information about the noviiremote application is not up to date! That's unfair to the readers.

And, please note that the Noviiremote works on MY hx4700 perfectly well with a range of 17 feet! Thus the information from your roundup is not complete:

PDAWin TV Remote Controller 5.5
RemoteControl II from WinCESoft
Total Remote (the second thread has a pretty good rewview of this title)

Of these apps, the latter two support native "180 degree" modes, which is a must for the hx4700.

Sorry for the angry response. I'm a thankful user of the noviiremote deluxe, and you give an incomplete information regaring this great app.

:evil:

kb0oyz-Ralph
10-05-2008, 07:44 AM
You know, I've got a pretty big collection of Pocket PC accessories sitting somewhere in a box, and I bet I've got some that I used with my 3760 way back when. If you like, contact me via the personal message feature on this site (the PM button below), and I'll see if I can send them to you.

I also recently aquired a 3765 - and want to run some Ham Radio apps on it, if I can find any ((or write them myself, with a software compiler?)) What do I need to upgrade storage space, add wireless access to it, and what compiler do you suggest. I only have the unit/leather case itself, and found a 5v 1.5a PSU that charges it (can't find the dock) - I noticed it has some form of VPN client in ROM - (maybe there is a VNC client available as well) and want to be able to remote-control my Ham Radio Equipment connected to my home PC (via HamRadioDeluxe)... or use it to decode some of the many digital modes available with (IE: MixW2 directly feeding the audio into it), and APRS (GPS tracking, via RS232 Serial port)

I was given an NEC MobilePro 800 a couple years ago, (attempting same as above) - USELESS - can't even get it to communicate correctly to my TNC modem (RF modem<>Radio through the MP800 Serial port, unable to disable internal 56k modem in MP800)...Anyway---

So- what might you have in your "box" of goodies that could help get me on the way to using my very first PDA device?

Thanks - Ralph :o