View Full Version : Bluetooth for Alerts

wkroberta
07-17-2006, 03:36 PM
There is a program at http://www.simplesmartphone.com/BlueCast/
that will allow you to receive sounds from your device through the bluetooth headset.

It's inexpensive and fantastic. I can get my calendar alerts or listen to music.

wkroberta :lol:

rookcnu
07-17-2006, 03:47 PM
Do you know if it will work on Pocket PC Phone Edition????

Darius Wey
07-17-2006, 05:38 PM
Do you know if it will work on Pocket PC Phone Edition????

Yes, it works on both Pocket PC Phone Editions and Smartphones.

rookcnu
07-18-2006, 03:45 AM
Okay - so I tried this piece of software out on my Motorola BT Headset (HS810) one-ear. I have many questions.

- What is Microsoft Framework .NET 2.0? (dummy description please)
- Is there anything else that I would use Microsoft Framework .NET 2.0
other than for this application?
- While the sound was clear, it was very "tin can" sounding. Could that be
my headset or is that the way it is on all headsets?
- Doesn't Motorola (HT820) and Jabra (620s) make headsets (two-ear)
that can do the same thing (listen to music in stereo - with both ears -
and make/receive calls) using the built in bluetooth on a phone (my
Cingular 8125 for example) and not have to purchase this application? I
think this is the case - let me know if it is not. And yes, I realize these
headsets are a little expensive, but I can imagine the quality is
probably far superior. Has anyone done a review on these headsets?

Darius Wey
07-18-2006, 09:46 AM
- What is Microsoft Framework .NET 2.0? (dummy description please)

The .NET Framework, in simple terms, is an environment that allows developers to build and deploy, and end-users to run applications that utilise one or more .NET languages.

The Pocket PC uses the .NET Compact Framework. The latest version can be downloaded from here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0c1b0a88-59e2-4eba-a70e-4cd851c5fcc4&displaylang=en).

- Is there anything else that I would use Microsoft Framework .NET 2.0

Sure, there are plenty of other applications that utilise the .NET Compact Framework, so having the framework installed will allow these applications to run.

- While the sound was clear, it was very "tin can" sounding. Could that be my headset or is that the way it is on all headsets?

That depends on a lot of factors: type of audio, volume of audio, external environment, type of headset, etc.

- Doesn't Motorola (HT820) and Jabra (620s) make headsets (two-ear) that can do the same thing (listen to music in stereo - with both ears - and make/receive calls) using the built in bluetooth on a phone (my Cingular 8125 for example) and not have to purchase this application? I think this is the case - let me know if it is not. And yes, I realize these headsets are a little expensive, but I can imagine the quality is probably far superior.

It's not as simple as that. If you're using a simple headset for voice communication, then one/two specific Bluetooth profiles are used: HSP (primary) and HFP (depending on circumstances of use). If you're using Bluetooth headphones for stereo audio, then one/two other Bluetooth profiles are used: A2DP and AVRCP (for remote control playback). Some devices include all of these profiles. Some only include the former two. If a device doesn't support the latter two, then you won't get true stereo quality when listening to music through Bluetooth headphones.

You can get a brief overview of how Bluetooth profiles work, and what each one does by visiting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth#Bluetooth_profiles

rookcnu
07-18-2006, 01:28 PM
Does my device (Cingular 8125) include A2DP and AVRCP?

If not, is it something I can download?

Thanks!

wkroberta
07-18-2006, 05:31 PM
I would not suggest using this for all your music listening, I imagine that the stereo headsets would do that better.

For receiving calendar alerts at my office the bluetooth headset (I use Motorola H500) works best for me. The stereo headset sends a message to other employees that I am listening to music all day instead of working. Not the case. Also I have never liked the earbud type headphones. Not very secure and I don't like things stuck in my ears.

I use the T-mobile MDA.
wkroberta

Darius Wey
07-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Does my device (Cingular 8125) include A2DP and AVRCP?

If not, is it something I can download?

I assume you're running the latest ROM (http://www.htcamerica.net/support/software_downloads_8125.htm)? It doesn't include A2DP and AVRCP by default, but some enthusiasts have managed to customise it by adding the two profiles. I can't link to it since it's not official, but if you search for "Cingular 8125 A2DP" in your favourite search engine, you'll see a number of links. ;)

Joseph Moon
08-19-2006, 05:26 PM
There is a program at http://www.simplesmartphone.com/BlueCast/
that will allow you to receive sounds from your device through the bluetooth headset.

I took at a look at the designer's web site and noticed that the Palm Treo 700w is one of the phones listed that gets the most support calls.

Has anyone had any success with this app running on their 700w?

Joseph...