View Full Version : which pocket pc for me

baileyalice
07-16-2006, 08:35 PM
Hi all,

I am new to the pocket pc world, well I have not even entered it yet, I am in the process of considering getting a pocket pc, but I am at a total loss of where to start.
Basically I would like a pocket pc that would be able to do the following.
Connect wirelessly to the internet.
Allow me to surf the internet not massive amounts. I don't really want to download anything.
Use microsoft word and excel or an equivalent.
check hotmail emails and reply to them.
and maybe use msn messenger, but that is only as an added extra.

This may seem really easy stuff and maybe they all do it but if some one could point me in the right direction for a pocket pc it would be much appreciated.

So any suggestions of which one would meet my needs would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Bailey

JesterMania
07-16-2006, 09:23 PM
Hi, welcome to the forums! Do you want to include phone support? There are your standard Pocket PCs and ones called Pocket PC Phones, which basically a Pocket PC and a phone all in one.

baileyalice
07-16-2006, 09:53 PM
Hi,

Thank you for replying, I am not bothered about having phone support on it.
that was part of my confusion as I had seen phone ones and wasn't sure if I got one of them if I would have a monthly fee included. Which is something I definantley don't want.

Thanks

Bailey

JesterMania
07-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Getting one with phone support doesn't mean you automatically have a "fee". It's no different than buying a different cell phone if you have one already. Since you're not interested in having phone support, here goes...

"Connect wirelessly to the internet."

Look for ones which support 802.11b/g Wi-Fi.

"Use microsoft word and excel or an equivalent."

They all have Pocket Word and Pocket Excel included. The bundled applications are nowhere near as powerful as their desktop counterparts and you may find investing in 3rd-party software to be worthwhile. Popular ones are Softmaker Textmaker and Planmaker (replacing word and excel respectively).

"check hotmail emails and reply to them. "

All Pocket PCs have Pocket Internet Explorer bundled. If you prefer using a program, I know English versions of Pocket PCs have build-in Pocket MSN/Inbox, which supports Hotmail.

"and maybe use msn messenger, but that is only as an added extra."

Again, bundled Pocket MSN has a basic version of MSN Messenger so you can send/recieve messages to all your contacts. Don't expect emoticon support, filetransfer, etc. however.

As you can see, your needs are pretty basic, with all your needs included standard with all Pocket PCs. When shopping for a PPC, buy those with Windows Mobile 5.0 (latest version). I know there are still some older ones floating around with Windows Mobile 2003...

As for brands, I recommend you check out Dell's Axim x51v or product offerings from Fujitsu-Siemens.

Hope that helps a little...

baileyalice
07-18-2006, 02:15 AM
Thank you for your help, I sort of assumed because my needs were so basic and I couldn't really find any definative answer, that all I need would be included with a pocket pc,

Thank you for your help, now just to find one that I like.

Bailey

Sven Johannsen
07-18-2006, 03:31 AM
Let me add a bit to "connect wirelessly to the internet"

There are a couple of ways this can be done.

WiFi, i.e. 802.11. This requires you to be in relatively close proximity to a wireless access point. You could have one at home, and could likely connect through it at your house and some limited area around it. You could find a free access point, some coffee shops, book stores, resturants have them, but you pretty much have to be in the establishment. Other places like Starbucks have pay Access Points. These are fairly common, but you still have to be at the place, and of course, they cost. More if you do it pay as you go, or a day pass, than if you have a subscription, like a cell phone.

Using cell carrier data. This is often associated with GPRS or EDGE or HSPDA or such. It is always a pay service, but is accessible wherever you can get cell service with the carrier that is supplying the data, like Cingular or T-Mobile, etc. Data plans do not roam like phone service does, so you need to be careful about the carrier chosen. This method offers connectivity in more places, but is typically slower than WiFi and costs. You can generally access it if you have a Data capable phone with BlueTooth, and a BT capable PPC. You use the Phone as a sort of wireless modem to the wireless data.

Just wanted to point out there isn't anything like a free, anywhere, wireless internet (with some progressive colleges and towns an exception on the WiFi side).

Once on the internet though, you can do that other connected based stuff.

yardcat
07-18-2006, 10:10 PM
For a side-by-side comparison of MANY Pocket PCs, check out the following link: http://www.firstloox.org/VGAppc.htm ,I believe most (all) of these are VGA devices (more pixels on the screen, can see larger amounts of the screen, with finer print).

I really debated for a long time about going PPC-PE (phone) or PPC stand-alone. As a personal choice, I went with PPC stand-alone, because ALL the screens of the PPC-PEs were/ARE? too small. You can combine most PPCs with a cellphone to use it as a modem for 'dial-up' type functionality. Also, newer, faster cell services are coming and all I need to do is just buy the cell phone part!

The Axim (mentioned previously), might also be good, because there is a large Community of Axim users & Forum & FAQ/Tutorial page.

I LOVE my Loox N560 (has WIFI, & GPS Navigation) + (cheap) Motorola V360 B/T Phone. The Loox 720 was, in my opinion, a revolutionary device and still considered to be the best overall PPC by many knowledgeable users. The Loox 500 series PPCs, and the T830 (PPC-PE) are the latest releases. I chose the N560 because, it had a few extra features.

- yardcat

yardcat
07-18-2006, 10:42 PM
Edit:
yardcat wrote:
The Loox 720 was, in my opinion, a revolutionary device and still considered to be the best overall PPC by many knowledgeable users..

Sorry, got a little carried away with my affection for Loox devices. There have been MANY revolutionary devices, but for the last 2+ years, my opinion is the HP4700 & the Loox 720 have been revolutionary leaders.

-yardcat