View Full Version : tmp files in \Windows\AppMgr\[program name] - safe to delete?

ctmagnus
07-14-2006, 03:01 PM
The subject says it all: I have a bunch of files (350KB worth, to be exact) of .tmp files under the \Windows\AppMgr folder, in subfolders named correspondingly for apparently every third-party app that I installed. Is it safe to delete these .tmp files, or will that just wreak (even more) havoc with the upgrade or uninstall process? fwiw, most of those folders also have .dll files in them as well.

Jerry Raia
07-15-2006, 10:54 PM
Sometimes those are left behind after uninstalls. That's the only time I have deleted them.

thierryb
07-16-2006, 06:12 AM
I suppose these tmp files are for uninstalling software.

Menneisyys
07-18-2006, 07:51 AM
The subject says it all: I have a bunch of files (350KB worth, to be exact) of .tmp files under the \Windows\AppMgr folder, in subfolders named correspondingly for apparently every third-party app that I installed. Is it safe to delete these .tmp files, or will that just wreak (even more) havoc with the upgrade or uninstall process? fwiw, most of those folders also have .dll files in them as well.

They are needed for uninstalling (I've also elaborated on them in some of my newer articles; for example here (http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&p=898&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1)). However, you can safely relocate them and only copy them back to there if you do need to uninstall a given app.

ctmagnus
07-19-2006, 01:51 AM
Leave it to Microsoft to make tmp files necessary for reasonable system maintenance. :roll:

I'd think that they could have used another extension for those files. Or even use the WM2003 method of keeping track of installed programs: One or two files, appropriately named for the app they're there to uninstall, under \Windows\AppMgr.

Jerry Raia
07-19-2006, 02:01 AM
Yeah it really seems like a lot of wasted storage space on devices with limited space already. The option to have them on a storage card would have been nice. :?