View Full Version : ClintonFitch.com Reviews the Best of Everything Software Package

Darius Wey
07-14-2006, 02:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.clintonfitch.com/reviews/ppcmag/best2006/' target='_blank'>http://www.clintonfitch.com/reviews...pcmag/best2006/</a><br /><br /></div>If you're interested in learning more about <a href="http://www.pocketpcmag.com/CD/">Smartphone &amp; Pocket PC Magazine's Best of Everything Software Package</a> - namely, what you get, how it works, and the savings to be had, then head over to ClintonFitch.com and check out <a href="http://www.clintonfitch.com/reviews/ppcmag/best2006/">Clinton's review</a> of the package. $3000 worth of software for $297. Sounds great for the software junkies among us.

ScottC
07-14-2006, 02:12 PM
Not much of a review. All he does is explain what is included (that is also posted on the website of the magazine). He doesn't look closely at the content and he doesn't post about the quality of the "bonus" items.

In essence it is nothing more than an advertisement and an affiliate link so he can make a little $$$ of people that buy this CD.

FWIW; I've looked at this CD several times and it really isn't all that good a value. Half the apps are apps I'd never use, and the remaining doesn't make it worth the $300. It is like saying you saved money when you buy stuff you don't need during a sale.

Ilium Software
07-14-2006, 03:11 PM
I agree that it isn't for everyone, and when Smartphone &amp; Pocket PC Magazine first told us about the idea (before the first version came out) I was skeptical. I thought "$300 bucks? Who's going to pay $300 bucks?" As it turns out there really are a lot of people out there who like the idea and purchased the CD.

It seems to really appeal to people who would spend more money in productive time searching around Handango and PocketGear for apps then they would if they just buy the CD and be done with it.

So yeah, I'd say it might not be the thing for you ScottC but for a lot of people it was just what they were looking for.

Marc Tassin
Ilium Software
--------------------
[email protected]
+1 (734) 973-9388
---------------------
http://www.iliumsoft.com

And be sure check out our new blog! http://blog.iliumsoft.com/

Clinton Fitch
07-14-2006, 03:59 PM
Not much of a review. All he does is explain what is included (that is also posted on the website of the magazine). He doesn't look closely at the content and he doesn't post about the quality of the "bonus" items.

In essence it is nothing more than an advertisement and an affiliate link so he can make a little $$$ of people that buy this CD.

FWIW; I've looked at this CD several times and it really isn't all that good a value. Half the apps are apps I'd never use, and the remaining doesn't make it worth the $300. It is like saying you saved money when you buy stuff you don't need during a sale.

Thanks for the comments Scott.

My point in the review was to explain how easy it was to use the CD/Registration process and not cover the in detail the various applications.

Hal Goldstein
07-14-2006, 05:25 PM
&lt;&lt;FWIW; I've looked at this CD several times and it really isn't all that good a value. Half the apps are apps I'd never use, and the remaining doesn't make it worth the $300.>>

Hi Scott,

Most people in fact only use about 25%-30% of the software in the package. That still is $750-$900 worth of software for $300. If you go to the value calculator available at www.PocketPCmag.com/CD, one can easily compute whether it is worth it.

We have gotten VERY positive feedback from the program (and yes occassional negative feedback).

What people appreciate is the value and the ability to use top programs at a fraction of the price. What they don't like is that each product must be registered separately. (For logistical reasons because of the different registration methods, that was the only way we could pull it off).

I am, of course, completely biased, since the idea of the program was mine, and I think David Seagull's customer service is second to none. I challenge anyone to find any package offering as much value and high quality and varied software on any computing platform. If you can afford the $297, and you think you will use enough of the software, it is an excellent value.

Feel free to post questions here or E-mail me [email protected] or David [email protected].

Executive Editor/Publisher
Smartphone &amp; Pocket PC magazine

davids
07-14-2006, 05:40 PM
I work with Hal at marketing and supporting the package for Smartphone &amp; Pocket PC magazine and there are a lot of people who purchased the package and are just thrilled with it. It does contain 8 of the top 10 best selling applications according to Handango, (Agenda Fusion, PocketPlus, Battery Pack Pro, eWallet, etc) whose price alone if bought separately is over $200 last time I checked.

That being said, Scott is correct in that the Software Package is certainly not for everyone. It is a great value for many people, however, like Marc pointed out. Scott is correct in that if you're not going to use the software, at least more than $297 worth it is not a good value for you. We included a free download of a "Value Calculator" on www.pocketpcmag.com/cd site (like Hal mentioned) so people can quickly and easily see what they would use and how much the price would add up to if purchased separately.

I also have to say we really put a lot of attention on customer service. I personally answer hundreds of questions both by phone and email, almost always within a few hours of receiving them. I make sure codes work, that people get the latest version, etc. I think this is a big help to people to have such attentive customer support, especially with these devices and with the range of software and range of different developers providing all kinds of different registration schemes.

I appreciate the fact that Scott checked it out several times for himself. That is really the best way to evaluate it. I would qualify Scott's statement slightly in order to be able to agree with him that the package "really isn't all that good a value" FOR HIM. If people are interested they can try it risk free and keep our bonuses if they choose to return it. The special reports are very helpful, the Demo CD they get to keep is great (we put a lot of work into it this year), they get free issues of the magazine, laser pen (cheap but cool) etc.

In marketing it our challenge is to find people for whom it is a good fit. I've talked to a number of people who purchased a new device, found our magazine at a newstand and were thrilled to discover the Software Package. It is like hitting the jackpot for them.

If anyone with a Windows Mobile focused website would be interested in reviewing the Package, please contact me. We had a number of thorough reviews for our 2005 Package last year which can be seen the /cd site.

If you are interested in reviewing, please contact me at my tech support email [email protected].

Phoenix
07-15-2006, 06:41 AM
I took a look at this CD, and although it doesn't have some of the primary pieces of software that I would most definitely load onto my PPC, at $300 USD, it's still a great value. Because even without the software that I'd like to see on the CD, the titles I want that are on the CD add up to a lot more than $300.

So for me, it's still worthwhile. Not for everyone, but I'd guess it is for many.

Say Hal (...love the mag, btw!), can we make suggestions for titles we'd like to see? For instance, I really like the titles that PDA Mill puts out, but I don't understand why they provide 80% of them and not the rest. I'd like them to offer all of their titles. The same for SPB. They offer practically every title they offer except for maybe two (one of which I wanted). Makes no sense to me. Why not just offer them all?

Hal Goldstein
07-15-2006, 03:37 PM
Say Hal (...love the mag, btw!), can we make suggestions for titles we'd like to see? For instance, I really like the titles that PDA Mill puts out, but I don't understand why they provide 80% of them and not the rest. I'd like them to offer all of their titles. The same for SPB. They offer practically every title they offer except for maybe two (one of which I wanted). Makes no sense to me. Why not just offer them all?

Thanks, Phoenix. I'm glad you like the magazine. The process works as follows:

-Judges vote on software in our annual Best Software Awards, www.pocketpcmag.com/awards each August.
-In September, we contact companies with products that were either winners or finalists.
-We offer them publicity in exchange for licenses.
-Vendors choose whether or not to participate, and which of their winner and finalist packages to contribute.

That way all products included in our Best of Everything Software Package were either winners or finalists in the previous year's awards.

One other note. Technically there are three products we offer:

Best of Everything Software Package -- the $297 product with over $3400 of Pocket PC software. www.PocketPCmag.com/CD

Best of Everything Software Package -- the $139 product with over $500 of Smartphone software. www.PocketPCmag.com/CD

Best of Everything Demo CD -- $15 or free with 2 year subscription. Contains demos of ALL software in package, additional demos, and lots of quality free stuff. Included as part of the Best of Everything Software Package http://www.pocketpcmag.com/democd

Hal Goldstein
Exec Editor/Publisher/Founder
Smartphone &amp; Pocket PC magazine