View Full Version : How do you create commands that would appear in Program Files?

EPD
07-12-2006, 10:59 PM
I have that voice recognition software from Microsoft/Handango.
The deal is that you can run anything in the Program group by simply saying "Start xxxxxx" and whatever it is, like "Start Wireless Manager".

However, I'd like to add SPECIFIC commands to the program group so I can use this feature.
I'd like to have a program appear in the Program Group that I would set up as "Start WiFi"; and another as "Stop WiFi".

On regular desktop Windows, I could create batch files as .bat or .cmd files and put commands in there that I want to run.

I'd like to know if there's a way to do this in the PC Mobile world.
Does a batch file syntax even exist?
Or, do I have to learn VB programming and create/compile/install little VB programs to do these things I want to do? Is there an easier way?

Thanks.

Darius Wey
07-13-2006, 05:57 AM
With generic commands, it's easy to do. With more complicated ones like Wi-Fi, it's a little harder, since each manufacturer tends to make modifications to their radios and the relevant controls.

If you want to sample "some" commands that support Voice Command, install Spb Pocket Plus and try saying some of the "actions" that are added to the Programs folder. While you can't exactly define new ones, it's a step in the right direction.

EPD
07-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Your reply sounds like you are suggesting that there is a function of the SPB software, "actions" you called it, that will allow me to create command files that will appear in the "Programs" directory. Am I reading your comment correctly? I am downloading the SPB program now to see if I can find that packaging function. That would be great as the Microsoft Voice Command program will ONLY recognize items that appear in "Programs". (aside from the individual "status" type things)
My other question though was, is there a "command" file format? Like a .cmd file or .bat file would be in Windows. And then if I placed it in the "Programs" directory, maybe the Microsoft Voice Command would be smart enough to recognize and run it there. Otherwise, perhaps I am looking at creating, compiling and installing little VB programs. I just didn't want to have to get that deep if not necessary.

Nurhisham Hussein
07-13-2006, 03:07 PM
Otherwise, perhaps I am looking at creating, compiling and installing little VB programs.

You can't go that route either I'm afraid - Windows Mobile no longer supports VB. It's been replaced by .Net CF.

Darius Wey
07-13-2006, 05:15 PM
Your reply sounds like you are suggesting that there is a function of the SPB software, "actions" you called it, that will allow me to create command files that will appear in the "Programs" directory. Am I reading your comment correctly? I am downloading the SPB program now to see if I can find that packaging function.

Spb Pocket Plus won't allow you to create and customise your own commands. It comes with a series of generic commands that you can use, feature in the Programs folder, and/or assign to hardware buttons, and nothing more.

My other question though was, is there a "command" file format? Like a .cmd file or .bat file would be in Windows. And then if I placed it in the "Programs" directory, maybe the Microsoft Voice Command would be smart enough to recognize and run it there. Otherwise, perhaps I am looking at creating, compiling and installing little VB programs. I just didn't want to have to get that deep if not necessary.

Depends on the complexity of your desired command. If it's just to launch a simple application, then you can create a shortcut of the EXE and place it in the Programs folder. If it's a little more complicated than that - for example, turning on the Wi-Fi radio, you can resort to batch files, but you'll need PocketDOS to execute them.

Nurhisham Hussein
07-13-2006, 11:32 PM
If it's a little more complicated than that - for example, turning on the Wi-Fi radio, you can resort to batch files, but you'll need PocketDOS to execute them.

That might be overkill Darius - better to use something like Mortscript (http://www.sto-helit.de/modules/edito/content.php?id=38) to do that.

Darius Wey
07-14-2006, 03:21 AM
That might be overkill Darius - better to use something like Mortscript (http://www.sto-helit.de/modules/edito/content.php?id=38) to do that.

Good catch. I haven't visited Mort's applications in a while.