View Full Version : Bought a new Sandisk Ultra II 1.0 gb sd card, but.....

ToddJ
07-12-2006, 03:01 AM
it is not nearly as fast as they claim it to be.... It claims to be 9 mb/sec for write capabilities, but when I benchmarked it (with Pocket Mechanic) it came up as .02/sec. What have other people found? I already switched it out once and it is the same....... I mostly want a fast one for when I save my profimail email to the SD and it goes really slow on the card (and the regular RAM fills up really quickly.)

Brad Adrian
07-12-2006, 03:59 AM
I've never benchmarked my cards, but the SanDisk Ultra II cards I've had are the fastest I've used. Other brands, like Kensington, have seemed pretty fast, too.

isajoo
07-12-2006, 05:48 AM
well... i think it really has to do more with the format of the sd card and also what type of ppc u have.i am using a toshiba e750,400mhz. and I have a VERY slow 1gb sd card by kingston i think it is only 2mb(maybe not even) per sec, not really sure, but it is the blue(toshiba makes them) cheapo one... and the point is it use to be VERY slow at copying or saving or even loading a file from it...but after i formatted it, it is really fast, not extreme but really good. now, if u really are worried about if the card it self is slow u will have to do a REAL test on a desktop pc with a usb sd card reader(there are lots of programs...do a google)...ohh it will also make a BIG difference if u have a 2.0 usb reader as appose to a 1.1??? one. plus remember, ALL(i think) ppc are 1.1 so the speeds are kinda limited to that. dont even get me started about processor speeds and cache/bus speeds. by the way my 1bg card was formatted using pocket mechanic... i dont have my ppc with me now, but i think it was formatted to 4kb per cluster. i will get back to you when it comes back from the warranty repairs.

good luck. remember BACK UP EVERYTHING FIRST.

Menneisyys
07-12-2006, 08:46 PM
it is not nearly as fast as they claim it to be.... It claims to be 9 mb/sec for write capabilities, but when I benchmarked it (with Pocket Mechanic) it came up as .02/sec. What have other people found? I already switched it out once and it is the same....... I mostly want a fast one for when I save my profimail email to the SD and it goes really slow on the card (and the regular RAM fills up really quickly.)

NEVER believe what Pocket PC-based benchmark apps (incl. Pocket Mechanic) say. ONLY believe what you yourself measure with a (unlike File Explorer) non-buggy, fast file transfer app like Resco or Total Commander running on the Pocket PC.

I've also elaborated on this question too in my article on optimizing memory cards (http://pocketpcmag.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17921).