View Full Version : Force ALL FOLDERS to mean what it says?

terrypin
07-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Is it possible to force programs like Word, Excel, Repligo, etc to actually show files from all folders, rather than only those directly under \My Documents (or SD\My Documents etc)?

I have installed TGETFILE, so that a few progs like PocketNotepad show a sensible browser, but that still leaves all the other mainstream apps.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

smittyofdhs
07-11-2006, 04:28 PM
it's built into the application code to do that, so there's no real way to do it.

As for sd cards, there is a hidden file that named something like "ignore_my_docs", if that file is present on your device, no app will see folders on the SD card. Remove that file and you will be able to access files on the SD from apps like Excel & Word.

terrypin
07-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Thanks, I suspected it would be impossible...

Yep, I have access OK to SD and CF cards - but of course only under \My Documents .

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

smittyofdhs
07-11-2006, 07:30 PM
yep, then that's the best it's going to get. To make matters worse, WM will only look at 1 subfolder deep under my docs. So if you have stuff buried 2 or 3 folders deep you won't see it either.

Brad Adrian
07-11-2006, 07:45 PM
I know that one of the reasons for limiting how deeply these apps "see" was to keep search times down, especially for the slower devices of yore. I sure would like to see something user-defineable, though; I'd love to be able to tell my apps which directories to search and which ones to leave out, preferrably on an application-by-application basis.

Dream on...

Nurhisham Hussein
07-12-2006, 01:26 AM
I know that one of the reasons for limiting how deeply these apps "see" was to keep search times down, especially for the slower devices of yore.

Tell me about it - I have 9GB of storage on my device, which makes Windows Media Player virtually unusable because it just HAS to search the whole lot for media files.

smittyofdhs
07-12-2006, 02:08 AM
I know that one of the reasons for limiting how deeply these apps "see" was to keep search times down, especially for the slower devices of yore.

Tell me about it - I have 9GB of storage on my device, which makes Windows Media Player virtually unusable because it just HAS to search the whole lot for media files.

how do you have 9 gigs on your device?

Nurhisham Hussein
07-12-2006, 02:42 AM

1GB SD card, 8GB microdrive.

smittyofdhs
07-12-2006, 03:15 AM

1GB SD card, 8GB microdrive.

what device? Honestly, I didn't know the microdrive ppc were out.

Nurhisham Hussein
07-12-2006, 03:31 AM
what device? Honestly, I didn't know the microdrive ppc were out.

It's not embedded if that's what you're thinking - the microdrive is a Seagate 8GB CF card. My device is a Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox 720 with both SD and CF slots.