View Full Version : Cingular 8125 won't shut off

rookcnu
07-10-2006, 08:05 PM
I have had this unit for 5 months now with no problems. On Friday, I did a ROM upgrade with no problems. Over the weekend, it worked great with no problems.

Now today, the darn thing will not shut off. I press the power button to shut it off and it does,... only to turn back on 5 seconds later on its own. It has been doing this all day long. My power management feature is set to shut off the unit automatically after 2 minutes of no use. But it just comes right back on 5 seconds later.

I have done a soft reset and that has not fixed the problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Darius Wey
07-11-2006, 01:26 AM
Do you have any third-party programs/plug-ins installed?

Additionally, have you got any applications configured to automatically update itself over the internet every X minutes?

rookcnu
07-12-2006, 03:27 AM
Yes, I have a few third party applications, but they are the same applications that I have been using for months. I haven't added any new applications. I have the following installed:

Agile Mobile Messenger
Jason Fuller's Virtual Earth Mobile
Macromedia Flash Player Active X
TCPMP
TCPMP AAC plugin
TCPMP FFMPEG plugin

Come to think of it,... I did do an upgrade to the Agile Mobile Messenger over the weekend, so that is different than what was on the unit before the ROM upgrade, but that is it.

Additionally, I do not have any applications configured to automatically update itself over the internet every X minutes.

Should I try and uninstall the Agile Mobile Messenger to see if that is it?

Thanks!

rookcnu
07-12-2006, 03:48 AM
I went ahead and uninstalled Agile Mobile Messenger, but the unit is still doing the same thing. So, I don't think it is that application.

Darius Wey
07-12-2006, 09:54 AM
One thing that most people disregard is the Messaging application. Do you have any e-mail accounts configured to check for new mail?

rookcnu
07-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Yes, I do have e-mail accounts configured (four) to check for new mail. However, I am not on a data plan (corporate sponsorship does not require it). So, I only connect to internet/e-mail using Wi-Fi when I am in a hotspot. I do not keep Wi-Fi active at all times, only when I need it. And,... my e-mail settings are no different than they were before the ROM upgrade.

Also, I make/receive about 60 calls a day and probably get on Wi-Fi three or four times a day at 15 minutes a pop. Before the ROM upgrade, I could keep a charge on my battery for two days with that kind of use. Since this problem, though, I have only been able to keep it for a half day. Last night before I went to bed, I had it fully charged. It drained completely overnight. I use the 8125 as the alarm to wake me up every morning and because the battery was dead, I woke up late.

This whole thing is really messing up my life in the last 3 days. Is it possible to uninstall the ROM upgrade and go back to the original one?

Thanks for all your help!

Darius Wey
07-13-2006, 12:47 PM
This whole thing is really messing up my life in the last 3 days. Is it possible to uninstall the ROM upgrade and go back to the original one?

If you can acquire the original ROM, then it's possible.

But before you resort to something like that, have you tried a hard reset? Do the same problems still occur?

rookcnu
07-13-2006, 12:59 PM
I was hoping not to do another hard reset, but if that is what you recommend, than that is what I will do. I think I have tried everything else.

Speaking of the hard reset - I have done it according to the way the manual tells you to, but I also have a feature in in my settings called "Clear Storage" that seems to do the same thing.

Is it the same thing?

Thanks!

Darius Wey
07-13-2006, 05:20 PM
I was hoping not to do another hard reset, but if that is what you recommend, than that is what I will do. I think I have tried everything else.

It does seem like we've exhausted just about every option, which is why I'm recommending the hard reset as a last resort. Just don't restore from a backup file after, since that may reintroduce old settings which would bring about the same problem again.

Speaking of the hard reset - I have done it according to the way the manual tells you to, but I also have a feature in in my settings called "Clear Storage" that seems to do the same thing.

Is it the same thing?

While I don't have the 8125 itself, I'm going to make an educated guess and assume that it does the same thing. Some OEMs include a software utility that performs the hard reset function without having to resort to hardware buttons. This "Clear Storage" thing that you mention is probably it.

rookcnu
07-15-2006, 03:20 AM
Darius,

Well,... I did what I really did not want to do. A hard reset. It seems as though it works,... so far. I haven't re-installed any of my third party applications yet, though. Don't want to waste my time/energy to have it start acting up again.

Thanks for your help!

Jerry Raia
07-15-2006, 10:58 PM
While I don't have the 8125 itself, I'm going to make an educated guess and assume that it does the same thing. Some OEMs include a software utility that performs the hard reset function without having to resort to hardware buttons. This "Clear Storage" thing that you mention is probably it.

Just for the record it does do a hard reset. Still its good to have the hardware button option for those times when the thing gets so vapor locked you can't get to the utility. :)