View Full Version : inspite of clean install of ActiveStink 4.2 - and i get intermittent BSOD...?

ipaq_wannabe
07-10-2006, 03:54 PM
i dont get it - mine was a clean install of Active$tink 4.2 on my notebook PC (not Palm Hotsync, and no previous versions of Active$tink); and yet i get intermittent BSOD...!!!

what gives?

ive already configured my firewall for the following apps (as noted in the M$ website):

- RAPI
- WCESMgr
- CEAPPMgr
- wcesscom

for Receive/All ports/TCP...

and though it is not everytime, i still get BSOD (like a bad case of $tink)...

have i failed to add an entry to my firewall not noted in the M$ KB?

please help...!!!

thanks!!!

ipaq_wannabe
07-10-2006, 03:59 PM
also, it it means turning OFF the firewall as the only solution - then what is the point of this all?

for one, M$ deactived WiFi Sync because of _Security Reasons_ , and due to the technical impotence of the A$ development team, we have to turn off the firewall (ie., less security)...?

Jon Westfall
07-10-2006, 04:52 PM
What exactly is the error you're getting? BSOD on Windows XP means a complete shutdown of the OS, most likely with a memory dump. If it's just an error in one of the exe's, then perhaps we can figure out the problem. If it is a BSOD, the exact error code will help us.

Jon.

ipaq_wannabe
07-10-2006, 05:22 PM
What exactly is the error you're getting? BSOD on Windows XP means a complete shutdown of the OS, most likely with a memory dump. If it's just an error in one of the exe's, then perhaps we can figure out the problem. If it is a BSOD, the exact error code will help us.

Jon.

thanks for the reply...

i would say that it is a complete shutdown of the OS - since i basically dont have access to anything anymore - only a reset through the "power switch" that brings me back...

as for a BSOD, how do i find the error code?

thanks!!!

Jon Westfall
07-10-2006, 06:07 PM
i would say that it is a complete shutdown of the OS - since i basically dont have access to anything anymore - only a reset through the "power switch" that brings me back...

as for a BSOD, how do i find the error code?

thanks!!!

Just tell us what the code says when it pops up. Does the system lock up or does it reboot itself? Does your notebook have all of the latest patches / service packs on it? I'd try installing all the critical updates through Windows Update, uninstalling activesync, rebooting, and re-installing activesync first.

Jon.

ipaq_wannabe
07-10-2006, 11:29 PM
okay - ill let you guys know when it happens again...

and yes, btw, the system locks itself up (but no automatic reboot)...

and as for my notebook - everything has been updated to the latest patch from WindowsUpdate... including SPs.

Menneisyys
07-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Do you use USB hubs or any kind of cable extenders?

They are the cause for most BSOD's with AS, particularly in ROM upgrade mode (I've also seen a BSOD while upgrading my Wizard because I've used a 3 meter cable extender - was pretty frigtened of the consequences :) ).

ipaq_wannabe
07-13-2006, 12:44 AM
Do you use USB hubs or any kind of cable extenders?

They are the cause for most BSOD's with AS, particularly in ROM upgrade mode (I've also seen a BSOD while upgrading my Wizard because I've used a 3 meter cable extender - was pretty frigtened of the consequences :) ).

in fact i had once - but then i took it out... assuming that its the source of the problem (but really could never understand why)...

now? im using the direct USB connection; and though the occurence of BSODs has dropped i still experience them. actually, im waiting for one to happen to get the error codes noted by Jon....

-- OT on the other hand...

btw, do you know of any good site for a treatise on BSOD? what is the worst that can possibly happen to your computer, etc. and what are the possible causes for these...

_