View Full Version : Yahoo Messenger for PPC

Joelacrane
07-10-2006, 01:26 AM
Why is there no Yahoo! Messenger for WM? The web based one doesn't work for me either, it just goes to a white screen. Everything else on Yahoo! Mobile works fine...

Cybrid
07-10-2006, 03:06 AM
Nope; you could try a java aware browser for Yahoo! Mobile...or
look into
agile messenger or other 3 party solutions.

Darius Wey
07-10-2006, 03:07 AM
Why is there no Yahoo! Messenger for WM? The web based one doesn't work for me either, it just goes to a white screen. Everything else on Yahoo! Mobile works fine...

There was one for Windows Mobile, but its development died a horrible death. Your best bet would be to look a third-party solution such as Agile Messenger (among many others): http://www.agilemobile.com/agile_messenger.html

Alternatively, if you can wait a few months, MSN and Yahoo! interoperability will kick in, so you can add and communicate with your Yahoo! contacts via MSN/Live Messenger.

Joelacrane
07-10-2006, 03:23 AM
Wow, so now Yahoo! and MSN will be together huh? On my PC i use Trillian Pro, i like Yahoo! better because it seems to connect much quicker and just works better in general. If only everyone would use skype... I might look in to Agile Messenger sometime, i need a good messaging program. Thanks for the answer guys.

Jerry Raia
07-10-2006, 05:29 AM
Alternatively, if you can wait a few months, MSN and Yahoo! interoperability will kick in, so you can add and communicate with your Yahoo! contacts via MSN/Live Messenger.

This is what I am waiting for.

Darius Wey
07-10-2006, 07:29 AM
Wow, so now Yahoo! and MSN will be together huh? On my PC i use Trillian Pro, i like Yahoo! better because it seems to connect much quicker and just works better in general.

On a random note, connection speed has been improved in Live Messenger, though I'm going to be frank and say that connection stability still has room for improvement.

WCSPCManager
07-12-2006, 06:10 AM
If anyone cares AT ALL, my Jornada 720 (of course not really a PPC...) DOES have Yahoo Messenger built in! And I downloaded the UK freeware version of AIM for it too.

Using a wifi PC card, I can get onto AIM and the built in Internet Explorer, but when I fire up YIM it automatically assumes it needs dial up with the built in modem! NO JORNADA! WRONG!

So apparently yes, the making of a YIM for Pocket PC was abandoned and nobody cares about the poor old HPC version... for my iPaq I use Agile

DerekAbney
07-13-2006, 10:10 PM

This is what I am waiting for.

Do you know when this is supposed to go into effect?

Jerry Raia
07-13-2006, 10:39 PM
I just read today it is going into a limited beta now. Shouldn't be too long.

Darius Wey
07-14-2006, 02:57 AM
I just read today it is going into a limited beta now. Shouldn't be too long.

Yup, you can try it out now by signing up for the new Live Messenger build at http://ideas.live.com/

This won't offer Yahoo! support in Messenger for mobile devices (yet), but it's a step in the right direction.

Kash76
07-14-2006, 03:19 AM
Long ago there was a CE based Y! messenger that only worked over dialup and not TCPIP :(