View Full Version : Looking for a affordable PPC, comparable to my Rx3115

Joelacrane
07-09-2006, 04:23 AM
I've been looking at HP iPaq rx1955's on eBay, and they are selling for about 200 dollars after shipping. HP did not offer a WM5 upgrade for my rx3115, so i have been kinda looking around for another affordable Pocket PC.

Some features i REQUIRE:
I must be able to hold the PPC like a phone for Skype or use a headset somehow
It must have WM5
It must have Wifi
It must have a 300mhz processor
A slip case or flip cover

Some features i would like:
Bluetooth (I know the one i am looking at lacks it, but i would like to have it)
USB Host support (Hard to find i know, not critical)

Programs i need to run:
Hitchhiker (!)
Worms world party
PocketTV
Terminal Services Client
Virtual Earth Mobile
vBar (Or does WM5 have better program managment?)

I'm just getting sick of WM2003SE's buggyness, i dont see why i should have to soft reset my PPC every day. Some advice would be wonderful, any tips you guys can give me would be much appriciated. It doesnt have to be HP or anyone in particular.

ADBrown
07-09-2006, 04:56 AM
The Dell Axim X51 mid-range model does all this except USB Host.

r@dimus
07-09-2006, 09:21 PM
The Dell Axim X51 mid-range model does all this except USB Host.

And a Ratoc USB host adapter in the CF slot will solve that problem.

Joelacrane
07-10-2006, 01:16 AM
Links? Pleeeese? Lol thanks.

So the Axim has both an SD and CF slot? I thought that CF was kinda dissapearing.

Nurhisham Hussein
07-10-2006, 01:25 AM
Two I can think of off the bat will fill your requirements - Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox C550 and Acer N311 (both including USB host on-board). I think (but I'm not sure) that the C550 is VOIP ready (two speakers and mic in the right place). The previous generation Loox 720 was designed with VOIP in mind. You might want to look at the Loox N-series as well (includes GPS on-board).

Joelacrane
07-10-2006, 03:27 AM
How do you pronounce Loox? Lol! They sound expensive for some reason, i am limited to about $250, as my buget is extremely limited, being 17 sure isnt easy, with car payments and school to save up for... I will definitely look into them though. Thanks!

ADBrown
07-10-2006, 04:23 AM
So the Axim has both an SD and CF slot? I thought that CF was kinda dissapearing.

Not as much as some people claim. All Axims and most iPaqs still have it.

i am limited to about $250, as my buget is extremely limited

I wouldn't bother with the Loox models then. They're usually $400 and up, because Fujitsu doesn't officially distribute in North America, and therefore you can only order from a few international retailers like Expansys/MobilePlanet.

Joelacrane
07-10-2006, 04:50 AM
http://www.pdagold.com/articles/detail.asp?a=268

I've fallen in love with the Acer n311, the only thing i dont like is the fact that it completely lacks IrDA. The joystick makes me skeptical too, since it cant handle diag. directions (????). I play Nintendo emulators all the time.

The only thing wrong with it, the price. the best ive found so far is $425. Yikes! I was originally looking at a 200 dollar PDA, wondering if i could pay for it. Hmmm.