View Full Version : Running apps from SD card?

coosbaytv
07-08-2006, 02:14 AM
anyone have any info on this?

I did a preliminary search and didn't come back with any info that was pertinent.

Jay

s'pose I should preface this is for PPC 2003.

Brad Adrian
07-08-2006, 05:48 AM
If your question is whether applications installed to an SD will run properly, the answer is that most will. A quick look at an application's installation notes should let you know if it has to be installed to internal memory.

In my experience, the internal-only applications tend to be those related to input tools, system utilities or wireless functionality.

If you are wondering about a particular application, let us know, because I guarantee SOMEBODY here has experience with it.

Good luck!

coosbaytv
07-08-2006, 07:21 AM
hey Brad, thanks for the info.

is it possible to move an app to the card after it is installed?

if not, how is this done when first installed?

Jay

Cybrid
07-08-2006, 08:32 PM
hey Brad, thanks for the info.

is it possible to move an app to the card after it is installed?

if not, how is this done when first installed?

Jay
PPC apps cannot be moved easily once installed. You are safer uninstalling /re-installing it to the new location.
In Activesync>tools>add and remove programs.
Uncheck install in default location. After which, whenever an app. is installed, an additional dialogue box will appear "pick location to instal" ....to main memory or to storage card.

coosbaytv
07-08-2006, 09:13 PM
perfect! thanks...

Joseph Moon
07-08-2006, 10:26 PM
One cavet about installing to memory cards... If you want to create a shortcut on the START menu - the icon may have trouble being displayed... It annoyed me enough that I ended up installing my main START menu programs to main memory...

As far as functionality goes, the programs ran fine from the SD card...

For those with Laridian Bible software - you can install the software in main memory and move the books/bibles to a directory on the memory card and it will function fine... At least in 3.0 it does...

Joseph...

blackmage05
09-01-2006, 07:37 PM
I'm looking to install TCPMP (http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/about) on a memory card. Does anyone have experience using this app from a memory card, or at least in general. EDIT: Also, what codecs are installed by default with either the .cab or .exe install? I'd need at least mp3, divx, mpeg4, and wmv./EDIT I'm current Palm user and want to increase my knowledge of PPC. I've posted about it here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50522).

Nurhisham Hussein
09-02-2006, 02:01 AM
There's absolutely no problem at all installing TCPMP on a card - I've done that for four different machines, and nary a problem between them.

blackmage05
09-02-2006, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the info. But I've got another one for you guys. I don't have access to a PPC right now, and when I do, I won't have to PC to use with ActiveSync. Now then, what I want to find out is: if I copy a .cab file to my memory card, can I plug my card into a PPC, unpack the .cab file, and have it install to the memory card? This is probably the only way I will be able to use any software on a PPC. Thanks again for any help.

Nurhisham Hussein
09-03-2006, 02:47 AM
Now then, what I want to find out is: if I copy a .cab file to my memory card, can I plug my card into a PPC, unpack the .cab file, and have it install to the memory card?

Cabinstl (http://www.s-k-tools.com/util.html) can do that for you. In WM5, it isn't necessary though.