View Full Version : pocketmusic on wm5

perchance
07-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Hello everyone, I'm buying my first PPC device, the i mate jamin.
the first program I wanted to install is the Pocketmusic bundle which
does not yet support wm5. will it work? if not, I would be happy
for recommendations. I listen mostly to audiobooks.
Let me ask another related question, does Pocketmusic and other
similar programs replace media player or are they 'shells' over it.
Can I delete media player?

thanks,

chance

Nurhisham Hussein
07-04-2006, 12:47 AM
I can't answer your first question, but as for your other two:

1. Pocket Music and its competitors are (thankfully!) standalone programs - they aren't shell replacements for WMP.

2. WMP is usually part of the ROM image of the OS, so you can't delete it.

perchance
07-04-2006, 01:27 AM
Thank you Hishamh
C.

Joseph Moon
07-04-2006, 03:57 PM
I have installed, played around with and paid for a few audio players in my time. PocketPlayer is my current player. Don't ask me why... I just install and un-install apps until I find the one that works on my device.

I have purchased both PocketMusic and withMP3 before - both on different devices... But for some reason, they did not work well on the Treo 700w.

I can tell you this, the quirks I found in the other players are not showing up in PocketPlayer... The one complaint I have with PocketPlayer is that it needs alot of memory... Actually, that is a relative statement to the Treo that leaves you with little memory to run decent apps... Argh!

Joseph...

klanum
07-18-2006, 08:50 PM
I do not know if it's with a recent update on 7/10 but the PocketMusic Bundle is WM5 compliant per their website. I had it working until this morning when I saw they had a new upgrade. Now I cannot get it installed back on the device/card (an Imate JasJar with WM5) after removing it first. I have had to send off a request for help to PocketMind.

Joseph Moon
07-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Coincidently, I installed the updated version yesterday as well. It actually works on a TREO 700w... Sort of...

I like PocketMusic - the interface is clean and sweet. The operation is snappy and intuitive.

My complaint is this - since installing PocketMusic - my ringtones stopped working. Makes no sense - the ringtone now being played is not even a system default tone.

I tried to uninstall PocketMusic and get my ringtones back - but that didn't work. So I re-installed PocketMusic and decided to live with another aggravating, irrating quirk.

Then I uninstalled the memory hungry PocketPlayer... I wish I could get my $20 back - I only had it installed for about a month...

I would be really interested in hearing feedback on Music Players from other Treo 700w owners... I can't be the only one out there trying to use the Treo as a MP3 replacement...

Thanks!
Joseph...

Nurhisham Hussein
07-19-2006, 01:20 AM
My complaint is this - since installing PocketMusic - my ringtones stopped working. Makes no sense - the ringtone now being played is not even a system default tone.

I'm speculating, but it's possible that PocketMusic changed the file associations so that media files will be played with PocketMusic as the default player. If there is an option in PocketMusic to deselect file associaitons, I'd suggest you try that.

Joseph Moon
07-19-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm speculating, but it's possible that PocketMusic changed the file associations so that media files will be played with PocketMusic as the default player. If there is an option in PocketMusic to deselect file associaitons, I'd suggest you try that.

Nope... Tried that and it didn't fix it. I also had this problem when I had PhoneAlarm installed. I uninstalled PhoneAlarm and things returned to normal. But PocketMusic was the only app I installed before this ringtone issue appeared.

Yea know, I am getting sick of this sh*t. These little annoyances drive my little anal mind crazy... And I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. Not many people seem to have this problem... In fact, it amazes me that we ALL expect these freakin' overpriced devices to have problems... We actually select a device that has the fewest bugs and/or quirks... Damn, this sucks!

Joseph...