View Full Version : Connect PPC To A Portable HD Possible?

Oreocat
07-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Does anyone know if it's possible to connect a pocket pc to a portable hard drive?

I found the Card Export program that looks like it will let the ppc recognize the drive, but my problem seems to be connecting the hard drive to the ppc. I have a ziplink that ends in a usb, and the few portable drives I've looked at also have usb.

I've seen a few usb to usb adapters, but haven't yet found the exact one it seems like I'd need, though I'll keep looking :)

In any event, does anyone know if this is even really doable, or am I just wasting my time?

I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Nurhisham Hussein
07-02-2006, 01:44 AM
It's only possible if you have USB host hardware-enabled on your device (as opposed to just USB-client) - which device do you have? And yes, if it doesn't have USB-host, you're wasting your time.

Card Export doesn't allow recognition of other devices from the PDA, it allows a PC to treat your PDA as a mass storage device (as against having to go through Activesync).

Oreocat
07-02-2006, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the information hishamh :)

I don't know whether it's host or client enabled, but I have an iPAQ hx2415.

I read the thread on Card Export, and it looked like it also let some usb storage devices be recognized on some pocket pc's, although it's very possible I may have misunderstood the comments :(

Darius Wey
07-02-2006, 06:42 AM
I don't know whether it's host or client enabled, but I have an iPAQ hx2415.

Unfortunately, the hx2415 does not have USB Host.

It does, however, have a CompactFlash slot. You could use a card such as the Ratoc USB Host CF Card (http://www.ratocsystems.com/english/products/subpages/cfu1u.html) to enable USB Host functionality, thus allowing you to connect a portable HDD. But note that it's of the v1.1 specification, which make file transfers quite slow.

I read the thread on Card Export, and it looked like it also let some usb storage devices be recognized on some pocket pc's, although it's very possible I may have misunderstood the comments :(

Card Export makes your device appear as a Mass Storage Device when connected to any computer. Pocket PCs otherwise require ActiveSync for file transfers. If a computer lacks ActiveSync, that functionality is lost. Card Export thus offers a way around this.

Oreocat
07-02-2006, 06:57 AM
Well heck, guess I was wasting my time...

Disappointment aside, thanks for the information Darius, I did want something faster than 1.1, so I guess I'll just be glad I didn't buy the hard drive beforehand :( (and it was such a good sale, too!)

Oh well, maybe it's time for a new ppc, one with usb host enabled :devilboy:

isajoo
07-02-2006, 08:21 AM
"Maybe its time for a OLD ppc"... My toshiba e750 has usb host FULL and vga out...With the expansion pack. Think really hard why u need a usb hd drive connected to ur ppc, if u need basic storage u can always buy a few 2-4gb sd or cf cards(might cost the same as a usb hd drivde). But I have yet to really need this feature. Plus with wifi i have access to my home pc files straight from the ppc file explorer. I do love hooking up my ppc to my 42" plasma tv and using both a mouse and keyboard to surf the net. u can always buy the e750 or e800(new shape/more ram/processor) on ebay, its usually sells for $150-300 for the ppc and $20-30 for the expansion pack. Good luck.

Oreocat
07-02-2006, 09:05 AM
Yeah, it was just a brief thought :wink:

I absolutely adore my 2415, and already have a 2gb CF and SD, it was just the "Ooh something shiny!" reaction... more memory always sounds nice, especially when the 4gb cards I've seen run around $100 and the portable drive was an 80gb on sale for $90.

Eh, I'll just stick with a new 4gb card, that'll last me for a year or two :)

Dyvim
07-02-2006, 02:51 PM
maybe it's time for a new ppc, one with usb host enabled

Since it seems like you would want USB 2.0 for fast file transfers, this probably wouldn't help you. Most USB-host enabled PPCs host at 1.1 (or possibly even at 1.0). I don't know of any devices that host at 2.0 speeds.

Brad Adrian
07-02-2006, 04:39 PM
... that'll last me for a year or two :)
Who are you trying to kid? You (like most of us here) will be looking for something bigger, better, cooler and faster WAY before then! :)

isajoo
07-03-2006, 05:56 AM
Well I saw a sale on kingston 1gb sd card for $9.99 canadian after rebate...So if u r patient, within a few months 4 or even 8gb will be less than $40 based on history of flash card prices... I paid $75 for the same 1gb card not even 8 or 9 months ago and I had to do a 10% off sale pricematch with an online store to get it for that price...original retail was $129.99...Today $9.99 dam it!

isajoo
07-03-2006, 06:04 AM
another thing... what would u put on a 80gb hd...that u would need everyday with ur ppc...my ppc can hardly give me 3 1/2 hours of battery life... so even if fill my 1gb sd with songs or even a few compressed movies...still wouldn't be able to watch more than 2 movies(and how many songs can u really listen to in one full working day) ...with full brightness on. No? not being rude, just curious!

Nurhisham Hussein
07-03-2006, 06:33 AM
It's really useful for instance in car use - you're not limited by what you remembered to sync to your PDA, you can take a heck of a lot more movies or music on the road.

What I find the greatest use for USB host is simpler - hooking up a keyboard (any USB keyboard) for data input, or reading from someone's USB drive on the go without a computer nearby.