View Full Version : creating and running a simple java program

meowth
06-29-2006, 03:20 PM
Hi, I'm an 11th grader in high school with absolutely no experience with pocket pcs. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with an explanation on creating and running a simple java program, namely a HelloWorld program, on a Dell Axim.

I've already tried this method:
1. Writing the program on a desktop and compiling it (works fine on the desktop)
2. Making the program into a .jar file
3. Made a .lnk file for the program
4. Moved both files onto the Axim (J9 is already installed)

However, I get an error message of: "There is no application associated with "HelloWorld". Run the application first, then open this file from within the application."

This leads me to believe that maybe you have to modify a program's code for it to work on a Pocket PC, is this true? Thanks for any help!

Janak Parekh
06-29-2006, 04:49 PM
Hmm. I haven't tried the various Java interpreters on the Pocket PC, but I do know PPCT member Menneisyys has tested them extensively. I'd encourage you to search the forums for posts by him containing the keyword "java" -- you should get some helpful hits that way. Here's one article (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48558) of interest, and it links to a full tutorial as well.

--janak