View Full Version : Windows Media Player auto-open

eodriscoll
06-28-2006, 04:56 PM
Hi,

Whenever I insert an SD Card (whether it has multimedia on it or not), Windows Media Player automatically opens and asks if I want to search the card for audio and video files. It never used to happen before when I would insert an SD Card with just html or word files, but yesterday I inserted a card that had an audio file on it, and since then, WMP automatically pops up every time any SD Card is inserted.

Is there a way to turn this setting off?

Thanks,
Erin

Cybrid
07-01-2006, 12:11 AM
Hi,

Whenever I insert an SD Card (whether it has multimedia on it or not), Windows Media Player automatically opens and asks if I want to search the card for audio and video files. It never used to happen before when I would insert an SD Card with just html or word files, but yesterday I inserted a card that had an audio file on it, and since then, WMP automatically pops up every time any SD Card is inserted.

Is there a way to turn this setting off?

Thanks,
Erin
www.mobileav.org

8. Autorun –
Windows Mobile devices contain a little-known autorun feature that can provide an attacker with a quick and easy method of infection. When a media card is inserted into the PDA, Windows Mobile will copy over the autorun.exe (if it exists), create a copy in the /Windows directory, and execute it. WM5 does question the user if the application can be launched, but previous version of WM and Pocket PC do not. The file remains on the PDA until the media card is removed. A user can prevent this by creating a read-only dummy executable called autorun.exe and put it in the /Windows folder.

normalposer
07-16-2006, 11:44 PM
That's an interesting and useful piece of information. However, it's completely irrelevant to the question at hand.
Does anyone have an answer? I don't even have to insert a card. All I have to do is turn on the device with the same cards (SD and CF) that are in it almost all of the time.
I checked, and there's no autorun in my Windows folder, so this seems to be purely the fault of WMP thinking it knows what I want. WMP *does* have a large set of user-configurable options, so why not this one?

Cybrid
07-17-2006, 02:16 AM
That's an interesting and useful piece of information. However, it's completely irrelevant to the question at hand.
Does anyone have an answer? I don't even have to insert a card. All I have to do is turn on the device with the same cards (SD and CF) that are in it almost all of the time.
I checked, and there's no autorun in my Windows folder, so this seems to be purely the fault of WMP thinking it knows what I want. WMP *does* have a large set of user-configurable options, so why not this one?
Have you gotten the wrong thread or did you forget your password? Eosdriscoll/normalposer...
Based on the original post seems like the answer. If it didn't help...I don't know...