View Full Version : Reliable 568

wylekyote
06-28-2006, 04:13 AM
My first handheld was a Jornada 568... I used it daily, bought a lot of accessories for it (so much so, I had to purchase a camera bag to tote it all with me). I loved it, but then I saw the iPAQ 4700; I'm sorry, but that baby just stole my heart.

Now my wife has stolen my 568 and uses it for her Mary Kay business, she has hardly a clue how to use a lot of the accessories, but I take it out for a spin around the web and use the camera card from time to time... talk about reminiscing, I miss it.

airconvent
08-05-2006, 05:26 PM
yup...frankly, its the most well throughout and stable pocketpc ever built.
Try to hang it and you will fail unless your experimenting with untested freeware. Did I mention the on-off switch and switches on and off with one press? Try that on an ipaq or a toshiba and you will know what I mean!
In anycase, greed for power has seen my upgraded to a 2750 but I still keep my Jornada charged up every few days and occasionally, I even sync the data as hot backup...heh heh

I had the chance to talk to one of the designers some time back and she was sad to see it go. the team was disbanded, some were redeployed while others simply left the company. they were actually ready to launch the jornada 57x series with intention for a brand new model after that but alas...Fiorina took over the the jornada was dropped....sigh..
now all those pre-production 578s are not floating on ebay instead...
armed with 400mhz cpu instead of the 206 mhz of the 568.

r@dimus
06-07-2007, 03:35 AM
The 568 was my first PPC years back and I wore it out after a few years. Using it heavily without a screen protector will do that. I moved from that to a HP 4150 and then a Dell X51v. Sometime back I came across a mint condition 568. I scarfed it up and stashed it just in case.

The 568 is a great unit. The reflective TFT screen made it a joy to use in broad daylight. The flip cover was very nice to have. Overall it was a great device. Too bad no one has made anything like it since.