View Full Version : alternative app to turn wifi on/off

elempoimen
06-25-2006, 10:15 AM
the iPaq Wireless app freezes on my 4155, occasionally even requiring a hard reset. My question: I can use BTTray to control the Bluetooth w/o using iPaq Wireless. Is there a similar app that I can use to control the wifi power?

DrAT
06-28-2006, 06:33 AM
As far as I know, you can only turn WiFi on and off by using iPAQ wirless. You can control Bluetooth with both iPAQ Wireless and by going to 'Settings/Connections/Buetooth.' WiFi and Bluetooth both use radio waves but are separate applications. iPAQ wireless just brings them together in one place. I often find that my device will freeze if I turn both WiFi and Bluetooth on at the same time. I'm pretty sure that this is a memory issue and not actually a bug causing a crash.
If you want to control the WiFi power output manually, check out www.socketcom.com and look for WiFi Companion. There is a free version for WM2003. Note that this won't turn it on and off but will let you choose to raise or lower the actual radio power output. It can be useful to save battery power or improve network performance.

elempoimen
06-28-2006, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the tip. I will probably check that out. I've played with the built-in power saving, but find the highest setting really slows down the connection.

I understand how the two techs work--I just wish there were another interface for controlling the wifi. what do other brands of ppc's use? (like dell, for instance)

DrQuincy
06-30-2006, 02:38 PM
Howdy!

I use a small application made by Aspecto software to toggle WiFi. Look for it here:

WiFiFoFum Utilities (http://www.aspecto-software.com/WiFiFoFum/Utilities.htm)

elempoimen
06-30-2006, 04:25 PM
Perfect! This is exactly what I needed! Thanks!