View Full Version : HELP NEEDED! WHAT 2 BUY? OPINIONS NEEDED !

Cadavidf
06-20-2006, 11:17 PM
hey. its been long since i post, since my ipaq 2200 was stolen. but today is my birthday and im going to visit the US soon and im planing on buying a ppc. the thing is i dont know which one to buy. money shouldnt be an issue, but i hope its not higher than $1000. few things it should include:

Wi-Fi (G if possible)
long battery +5hrs
bluetooth 1.0
SD Slot
WM5
medium-to-small size (thin)

would be nice:
big memory +128Mb
bluetooth 2.0
CF Card Slot
VGA
not brick-form-factor
removable battery
camara
remote control (IrDA) nevo or something similar.
USB disk use. use it like an USB flash drive

i have seen some PPC's and i like the ipaq's line, the 2200 is really nice but it lacks WM5 and WiFi... so i dont like it for that... i also liked the 4700 although its kinda bulky. can you recomend me anything that comes to mind? and maybe links to some reviews of the device. thanks a lot.

Nurhisham Hussein
06-21-2006, 01:54 AM
Wi-Fi (G if possible)
long battery +5hrs
bluetooth 1.0
SD Slot
WM5
medium-to-small size (thin)

would be nice:
big memory +128Mb
bluetooth 2.0
CF Card Slot
VGA
not brick-form-factor
removable battery
camara
remote control (IrDA) nevo or something similar.
USB disk use. use it like an USB flash drive

There's a whole bunch of stuff that meet your min. spec, but your would-be-nice criteria is much harder to meet. CF card slots are on the way out, and VGA seems to be as well. Outside of PDA-phones, cameras on PDAs are as rare as the doodoo (btw, you haven't mentioned whether having an embedded phone is part of the criteria - standalone PDAs are also getting rare on the ground).

Cadavidf
06-21-2006, 05:06 AM
im the kinda guy that thinks n having phone and pda as separate... i have my nokia phone thats working fine... and for parties and stuff bringing my PDA doesnt work right with the girls...

anyways, if there is a pda that also has phone capabilities, im fine with it...

in my "would be nice" most important things are Consumer IrDA and Bluetooth 2.0 since bluetooth headsets are nice touch. camara is also good.. but again really hard to catch. the thing with CF cards is that i can make them almost an ipod with a 4gb card. but CF slots make the pda bulk in pocket.

if you find any pda that fit into the criteria, post it. im really lost and got not much time... the best opinon comes from the users, not form the sales man person.

Nurhisham Hussein
06-21-2006, 05:32 AM
There are very, very few devices with Bluetooth 2.0 - I actually can't think of one offhand. If you're just looking to use mono BT headsets, than BT1.2 works just fine. Stereo is possible as well, IF you can find the A2DP profile.

I believe the latest iPaq h24xx line has consumer IR, has CF slots and fits your requirements pretty well. I'd also recommend looking at the Dell x51v, though it only has FiR, not CiR. Still usable as a remote, but the range is not as good either. Where's your location? - there's a lot more devices available outside the US than there are inside.

Menneisyys
06-21-2006, 06:13 AM
I'd also recommend looking at the Dell x51v, though it only has FiR, not CiR. Still usable as a remote, but the range is not as good either.

People report over at AximSite that it has (as with, traditionally, all Axims - except for the x5 series) pretty good range. Also see http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/review/dell-axim-x51v-en.shtml