View Full Version : Moving from Treo 650 to 6700 without PC

NathanBaron
06-20-2006, 03:40 PM
Hi there,

I'm sorry that my first post to this forum is with questions, but this seems like a friendly place with people who may be able to help me out.

I am a Mac user with a Treo 650. I have had to replace the Treo 4 times(!) because of the audio jack problem and I am finally getting fed up. A friend of my works for Telus and he has agreed to loan me a UTStarcom 6700 for a week to see if I like it. (I'm really nervous about taking the leap as I've been a devoted palm user for years and have invested a pile of money into software and accessories.) If I hate the PPC after the week, I just replace my treo again. sigh.

The problem is that as I am a Mac user my migration options are limited to begin with (Missing Sync Alpha or Pocket Mac) but I don't want to buy either for this trial period with the 6700.

So my question is this: Is there a way to move contacts and calender data from the palm to the pocket pc, without desktop synchronization? An OTA solution possibily? IR maybe? All of my other stuff, office docs etc I can copy via a card reader, I just need my numbers and calender info for the week.

I hope the PPC works out for me. Over the past few days I've been looking at software for the PPC platform and I'm super jazzed about the new possibilities.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cybrid
06-25-2006, 08:04 PM
Hi there,

So my question is this: Is there a way to move contacts and calender data from the palm to the pocket pc, without desktop synchronization? An OTA solution possibily? IR maybe? All of my other stuff, office docs etc I can copy via a card reader, I just need my numbers and calender info for the week.
My recommendation? The quick and dirty way is:

find a buddy with an XP machine and outlook, start a new user profile
Sync your Palm to Outlook instead of Palm Desktop,
Sync the 6700 to same.
delete the user profile (getting that data off his machine). done.

or look for stuff like:
http://www.thoracic.org/sections/career-development/palm-tips/articles/January-2006.html
For Palm OS devices, there is BeamPRO from Ecamm network. This software allows multiple files and Palm records to be sent to another Palm, expansion card, cell phone, Pocket PC or desktop computer. BeamPRO uses infrared beaming or Bluetooth capability of the Palm. One nice feature is that category information for addresses and memos are maintained. As with Peacemaker, the application only needs to be installed on the Palm OS device to have all of these capabilities. BeamPRO is able to beam a wide variety of non-Palm files either from main memory or from an expansion card. There are a number of limitations. Currently, the application does not work with the Tungsten TX. It does not allow specification of which storage card is used when beaming to devices with more than one storage card such as the LifeDrive or Tungsten T5. With some Windows mobile devices, address entries from BeamPRO are received with information jumbled. Overall, this is still a very capable application. It costs $8.00. More information is available at http://www.chapura.com/pocketcopy.php.

Finally, if you are migrating from a Palm OS device to a Pocket PC, look at PocketCopy from Chapura Software. This is an application for converting your Palm Desktop Address Book, Date Book, To Do List, Memo Pad,Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Memos into Microsoft Outlook Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Notes. These can then be synchronized with the Pocket PC device. It should be noted that PocketCopy is designed to perform a 1-way, 1-time transfer of data from the Palm Desktop into Outlook. PocketCopy will not keep data synchronized in both places. However, for users changing platforms, this is a solution that avoids a lot of re-entry of data. It does not damage nor change the Palm Desktop information. PocketCopy sells for $9.95. More information is available at www.chapura.com/pocketcopy.php.

The opinions rendered herein are those of the author

*************When you switch*******************
you may wish to take a look at http://styletap.com/

Run Thousands of Applications for the Palm OS® Platform On Your Windows Mobile™ Pocket PC Handheld!

An emulator