View Full Version : What's your favorite utility program??

MTHall49
06-19-2006, 02:28 AM
I'm looking for something that will do defrag and similar things, including checking SD, CF storage media, in addition to a variety of system diagnostics. Will be using this on a Dell Axim X50

Any favorite diagnostic/utility app that you think is tops on your system?

isajoo
06-19-2006, 05:04 AM
u could try anton tomov's products like pocket mechanic and the professional version too. BUT... i have found that just by simply getting a sd card reader (2.0 much faster) then copying all contents of sd or cf onto main pc harddrive, then deleting everything off card(even format) and copying back all contents make it alot faster. this is from my own experience.
pocket mechanic is good but i use it only for minor cleanups and major formating. but its is amazing how the professional version works...feels like windows xp's defrag program. just try the demos. AND PLEASE BACKUP EVERYTHING BEFORE TRYING ANYTHING. dont get mad at me when ur unit crashes for no apairant reason. good luck.

Guest979
06-19-2006, 05:56 AM
I find that very surprising - flash memory provides true random access, so the idea fragmentation is almost meaningless.

Nurhisham Hussein
06-19-2006, 05:58 AM
Defragmenting or checking for errors on flash cards in a PPC is a major no-no, you run the risk of corrupting the FAT and losing your files. Read through this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39583) for more info.

isajoo's suggestion is the way to go, it's safer and faster. Then again, guest979 is mostly correct as well - since flash memory has no moving parts, file defragmentation has only a very minor impact on read performance.

isajoo
06-19-2006, 08:21 AM
i use pocket mechanic to remove files like internet cache,cookie and history ...i apologize if i already screwed up anyones device...I DO NOT DEFRAG MY PPC FLASH MEMORY... but u should tryout pocket mechanic pro... u would be surprised to see how advanced defraging has gotten. makes u really think if it is worth the money/time.

also... defraging might not increase performance BUT according to Pocket Mechanic PRO it clears up room for more files. less "SLACK" is the term used in Pocket Mechanic PRO

Nurhisham Hussein
06-19-2006, 09:10 AM
i use pocket mechanic to remove files like internet cache,cookie and history ...i apologize if i already screwed up anyones device...I DO NOT DEFRAG MY PPC FLASH MEMORY... but u should tryout pocket mechanic pro... u would be surprised to see how advanced defraging has gotten. makes u really think if it is worth the money/time.

also... defraging might not increase performance BUT according to Pocket Mechanic PRO it clears up room for more files. less "SLACK" is the term used in Pocket Mechanic PRO

That really depends on your cluster size - smaller cluster sizes=less slack anyway. The default cluster size gets larger as the storage medium increases. For the small storage sizes most flash cards carry, I wouldn't think the space savings would be terribly significant.

MTHall49
06-23-2006, 11:38 PM
Do you mean don't try to defrag anything other than what's on the SD card,
but not on a Flash Card, or the built in memory on a Dell Axim x50 (the one I am getting)?

Nurhisham Hussein
06-26-2006, 02:59 AM
SD card = a type of flash card. Your x50 has two slots - one for Secure Digital, the other for Compact Flash. The main difference between the two is just the form factor (although SD has a security feature that was initially intended for DRM, but since nobody uses it is pretty useless). My comment was based primarily on the number of corrupt FAT cases having to do with SD cards, for which running a defragment program on the PPC was a probable cause (internet cache relocation was the other major issue).

Both CF and built in storage on the Axim should be more robust. In any case, it's far easier and faster to defragment flash cards (any flash card of whatever format) through your PC.