View Full Version : FS: My beloved Jornada 568 with a TON of accessories

dugn
06-17-2006, 11:43 PM
It's been a long run, but I finally had to upgrade. Now I'm selling my beloved Jornada 568 with a boatload of accessories (many are pretty hard to find). If you're interested, I've put it all up on eBay here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8830605436
Bidding starts at $59 for the whole lot. Good luck - and happy bidding (or simply check it out if you're reminiscing over your old Jornada).

:roll:

Paul Martin
06-18-2006, 02:25 AM
:byebye:

Mine will be joining yours eventually. I'll be watching yours to see how it does. Hope it goes well! So, what did you move up to?

Paul

dugn
06-18-2006, 05:12 AM
I went to the Samsung i730 Pocket PC phone - and boy do I love it. It seems to have the same kind of 'substantial'/'solid' feel that I miss from the old Jornada 560 (and especially 540) models. It also has a built-in keyboard (something I had to add to my Jornada). And, as one would expect from a newer model, integrated WiFi and increased speed overall.

The i730 has a great screen, nice, useful side buttons (much like the 568 - although nothing as good as the 548 rocker dial) for well-thought out things like Voice Commands, 1-button record (I have mine programmed to mute the ring) and a 568-ish up.down toggle for varying volume and intensity selection (depending on the mode).

I have to admit to being somewhat of a freak: My electronics have to be exactly what I'm looking for in every respect. And after years of research, lurking on these forums and waiting for better offerings, the i730 not only fit the bill of a die-hard Jornada fan, but even surpassed some of my needs (examples are a HUGE SafeStore non-volitile area, integrated Voice Command that actually works without training, and the newer PPC2003 SE OS)

It's not quite slim enough to slip into a pocket like a 540/560, the docking cradle will never be matched and, of course, it doesn't come with a built-in cover - but those issues aside, I couldn't be happier with my 730.

MPSmith
06-18-2006, 04:13 PM
I've been a i730 user for about 10 months and love mine. I'm nowhere near trading it, which is a personal record for me. I would suggest any new i730 user do this:

Go to pdaphonehome.com, which is far and away the best forum for this device. You should go to the FAQ's and find the thread written by MRailing, which explain how to set up the device. I was skeptical, but once I did it my device never worked better. Also, install his phonetools program. This all seems silly to someone like you and I that have been around PPC's for years, but trust me on this one.

You absolutely need to get a phone program, as the one built in to the device is rather poor. I use PhoneAlarm.

Windows Mobile 5.0 is also available for this device. I'd suggest reading the rather long thread about people experiences with it before upgrading (it free BTW). It will help you decide whether it is worthwhile and will work for you. Decide carefully, because once you upgrade you can't go back. I got it and my only complaint is it seems I'm getting poorer battery life.

That's about it... Good luck!!!

dugn
06-19-2006, 05:08 AM
Go to pdaphonehome.com, which is far and away the best forum for this device. You should go to the FAQ's and find the thread written by MRailing, which explain how to set up the device.

Yes - this is my 'unofficial' SCH-i730 FAQ as well. I hadn't noticed the setup-from-scratch FAQ, but this really is good. I agree with everything he points out for the items and tools I'd like installed. I'd second your recommendation of this site. And yeah, like the author, I couldn't live without PhoneAlarm. It's that one Essential App for a Pocket PC phone edition - hands down...