View Full Version : WM5 files per dir LIMIT!

Fking
06-17-2006, 12:58 AM
I found that i can't place more than 1000 files in one dir on my qtek9100 with WM5 and 1GB miniSD pqi card.

There is plenty of space on the memory card and i can copy files in other dirs, but when i try to copy more files in the dir with 1000 files, it says that there is not enough space.
Spliting the files in multiple dirs is not an option, i need to place about 3k files in just one dir.

So, is there a way to avoid this 1000 files per dir restriction?

bacchus_3
06-17-2006, 07:53 AM
That's too much to ask if you can have 1000 files in just ONE directory. You're browsing of the directory would be so slow that you'd wish you organized your directory in subdirectories for all your files.

You have a PPC. Even a Windows desktop version slows down to 1000 files in a directory (even UNIX systems has file count limits, you'd need to create a directory to place new files). It would make sense for Microsoft to limit it to some number. It's a kernel design - technically, the answer to your question is NO.

If you require to place 3k files in a directory, I bet you'd need another medium to do that. Caching 3000 filenames in memory can be a challenge for a low-memory system like a PPC.

Menneisyys
06-17-2006, 08:15 AM
I found that i can't place more than 1000 files in one dir on my qtek9100 with WM5 and 1GB miniSD pqi card.

There is plenty of space on the memory card and i can copy files in other dirs, but when i try to copy more files in the dir with 1000 files, it says that there is not enough space.
Spliting the files in multiple dirs is not an option, i need to place about 3k files in just one dir.

So, is there a way to avoid this 1000 files per dir restriction?

You mean a subdirectory or the root directory? It's only the latter that has restrictions, NOT the former. That is, both FAT16 and FAT32 will allow for storing more than 1024 files in any subdir.

You may want to reformat (& at the same time, optimize) your card using either of these file systems (it must already have eithe rof them but it may be messed up). See http://pocketpcmag.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17921 for more info.

Fking
06-17-2006, 09:44 AM
is there a way to raise this limit from the registry or something?

Menneisyys
06-17-2006, 10:20 AM

Nope. You haven't answered my question, but I think you're trying to put all files in the root directory. That won't work - create a subdirectory and put them all in there.

Fking
06-17-2006, 09:59 PM

Nope. You haven't answered my question, but I think you're trying to put all files in the root directory. That won't work - create a subdirectory and put them all in there.

i'm trying to put them in a sub-dir

Menneisyys
06-17-2006, 10:15 PM

i'm trying to put them in a sub-dir

both FAT16 and FAT32 will allow for storing more than 1024 files in any subdir.

You may want to reformat (& at the same time, optimize) your card using either of these file systems

Fking
06-25-2006, 10:44 PM
well, i checked with pocket mechanic, it's fat16, but it reports that there are no errors at all and the file system is ok
so where can be the problem?
some weird restriction in WM2005?

Menneisyys
07-10-2006, 12:49 PM
well, i checked with pocket mechanic, it's fat16, but it reports that there are no errors at all and the file system is ok
so where can be the problem?
some weird restriction in WM2005?

Nope, WM5 supports that many files. Try reformatting your card (after backing it up).