View Full Version : xv6700 and BT GPS configuration

lkawamot
06-16-2006, 04:27 AM
I tried asking this in the PocketPC Phone Edition section, but didn't get any responses... so....

I'm trying to configure my GlobalSat BT-338 GPS to work with my xv6700 and mapopolis.

1. Under BT settings->Devices, I created a "New Partnership..." and paired my 6700 with the GPS. "BT-GPS-30161B" appears in the list of devices.

2. Under BT Settings->COM Ports, I created a "New Outgoing Port" and selected COM 9. "BT-GPS-30161B (COM9)" appears in the list of COM ports.

3. I exit my Wireless Manager and start Mapopolis.

4. Under Tools->GPS I go to "Settings"->"GPS Communications" and set the Com port to match (COM 9) and set the baud rate to "Auto-Detect" and hit OK.

5. Back at the main GPS screen, I hit the "Start" button.

6. After a while, I get the GPS connect sound and see data appear on the GPS status fields.

Everything looks good, EXCEPT...when I exit Mapopolis, my 6700 thinks the current date is some date way out in the year 2088.

It looks like the GPS data stream caused my device to change the date. I've tried the above steps with different COM ports (I think 0, 1, 5, 8, 9) with the same result -- my date getting set out into the future.

Anyone experience this problem? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

lkawamot
06-21-2006, 01:06 AM
In case anybody has this problem...

I used GlobalSat's utility program called GPSInfo to see what I can see... wasn't really sure what it would do, but I tried for the sake of trying it. I couldn't get the GPSInfo_WM5 version to run on my xv6700 but I ran the PC version. On teh GPSInfo pane, it showed a summary of the GPS data... including the Date field which indicated 11/04/2086... suspiciously similar to my system date on my xv6700. So I was guessing that my 6700 was somehow sync-ing to the GPS date value...

Mapopolis has an option in "GPS Options" called "Set clock to GPS Data" which is enabled by default... I unchecked it and everything is dandy now.

It appears that my GPS receiver's firmware is incorrectly extracting the Date value from the GPS data stream OR the GPS satellite(s) may have incorrect date values... I have a feeling it's the firmware, though. I hope this info helps somebody out in the future cause it was nagging me for a while and nobodyelse seemed to have this problem.