View Full Version : Verizon xv6700, MS ActiveSync 4.1, and other questions...

lkawamot
06-13-2006, 06:32 PM
I finally dove into the converged world (previously had been using Moto e815 and HP iPAQ2215) on Sunday when I purchased the xv6700. I've been playing with the device and trying to read up on the forums here and at HowardForums. But I've still got a few questions that I was hoping somebody could help me with...

1. ActiveSync 4.1 -- where is the "Backup/Restore" option? I did a search on the activesync's own help and it still shows the old information. that is, I should be able to find it under the "Tools" menu... but it's not there.

2. There are 3 little icons that are above the task bar on the lower right corner -- is there a way to remove them? I've got my preferred shortcuts setup via PocketPlus and would like that row freed up for other important items on the desktop.

3. I previously had Mapopolis working on my iPAQ2215 with GlobalSat's BT gps. I'm used to opening up my BT manager, selecting the icon for the BT GPS, and selecting "Connect". Then start Mapopolis, goto the GPS screen and start the GPS. How does all that work on WM5?

I created a "New Partnership" and then created a "New Outgoing Port" at Com 5. When I launch Mapopolis and goto the GPS screen and hit "Start", I do eventually get GPS data, but then my calendar is reset to some date out in the year 2088. It's as if though the GPS data stream reset my calendar. I've tried changing the COM port to 0, 1, 9, etc with the same results. I must be doing something wrong.

4. The camera is painfully slow. Is this normal? Is there a way to speed it up? I'm used to using the camera on my Moto e815 and, though it had a bit of a lag, it wasn't this painful to use. Actually, I'm wondering if the general lagging I get with the device is related to the Verizon pre-loaded material. I know there's a hack to remove all the Verizon related items and people mention how that process speeds up the phone. Is that my solution?

Thanks for any suggestions/help/advice.

lukas44a
06-20-2006, 02:51 PM
Most of your issues have been addressed under your specific device thread here :

www.pdaphonehome.com

Janak Parekh
06-20-2006, 03:37 PM
1. ActiveSync 4.1 -- where is the "Backup/Restore" option? I did a search on the activesync's own help and it still shows the old information. that is, I should be able to find it under the "Tools" menu... but it's not there.
Backup/Restore has been removed from ActiveSync 4.x. You can buy one of several backup programs, like Sprite Backup (http://www.spritesoftware.com/pocketpc.php).

2. There are 3 little icons that are above the task bar on the lower right corner -- is there a way to remove them? I've got my preferred shortcuts setup via PocketPlus and would like that row freed up for other important items on the desktop.
I believe that row is WM5's "tray", since the bottom row is now used by the softkey menu. I don't know if it's removable or not, but you can try searching around for WM5 tray, or maybe someone else can chime in here.

As for the GPS, I've not used GPS with WM5, so I'll let someone else answer that.

4. The camera is painfully slow. Is this normal? Is there a way to speed it up? I'm used to using the camera on my Moto e815 and, though it had a bit of a lag, it wasn't this painful to use.
I don't put much stock into Pocket PC Phones' cameras. How slow is it?

Actually, I'm wondering if the general lagging I get with the device is related to the Verizon pre-loaded material. I know there's a hack to remove all the Verizon related items and people mention how that process speeds up the phone. Is that my solution?
Like the other poster said, you might want to read through the XV6700 forum on pdaPhoneHome (http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=174); they do discuss a lot of these issues there.

Good luck, and congratulations on your new toy.

--janak

lkawamot
06-21-2006, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the replies Lukas and Janak! I was beginning to think nobody answered to questions anymore. I've been trying to resolve all my problems prior to my 15day trial period so that I could return the device to Verizon if I wasn't happy with it, so I was anxious to hear replies within a day...

anyway...

1. Ahh... so they're letting 3rd party apps make money off of a feature that used to exist in ActiveSync... how nice...

2. I'll try checking to see if anyone has removed items from the tray... otherwise it sounds like if I do the hack to remove Verizon apps I may regain the screen space...

3. My GPS problem is not an issue anymore... after days of head-scratching and exchanging almost useless email with GlobalSat's tech support, I finally figured out the problem, which I posted to the "Wireless and GPS" forum here.

4. The lag seems to vary from 2-10 seconds... I've hated the shutter sound effect in the past so I quickly disabled it when I first got the 6700. Since my problem is that I tend to think the image is taken before it's actually done being captured, I re-enabled the shutter sound and now I have images of what I mostly expect. I'm not too concerned with quality as I use the camera for occassional moblogging... holding the camera still until I hear the shutter sound has made the problem mostly tolerable.

Thanks again for your replies and I will check out pdaPhoneHome as both of you suggested.

So far I think I will likely be keeping the device past the 15day trial period. But I would like to see HTC improve the camera speed.

Janak Parekh
06-21-2006, 11:59 PM
1. Ahh... so they're letting 3rd party apps make money off of a feature that used to exist in ActiveSync... how nice...
Well, ActiveSync backup was slow and problematic, so I'm not surprised they took it out.

4. The lag seems to vary from 2-10 seconds... I've hated the shutter sound effect in the past so I quickly disabled it when I first got the 6700.
2 seconds is okay, but 10 seconds is a little slow. Of course, it could be the write speed to the memory or card. It's not so amazingly slow that I'm that surprised. Hopefully they'll have improved it in the AKU2 update...

--janak

lukas44a
06-22-2006, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the replies...

4. The lag seems to vary from 2-10 seconds... I've hated the shutter sound effect in the past so I quickly disabled it when I first got the 6700. Since my problem is that I tend to think the image is taken before it's actually done being captured, I re-enabled the shutter sound and now I have images of what I mostly expect. I'm not too concerned with quality as I use the camera for occassional moblogging... holding the camera still until I hear the shutter sound has made the problem mostly tolerable.

So far I think I will likely be keeping the device past the 15day trial period. But I would like to see HTC improve the camera speed.

The lag problem was corrected with some hacking over at the other site. thread was a while back and 6700 forum has lot of activity so you might have to use search.