View Full Version : j9 on windows mobile 5.0

lucasdeoliveira
06-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Hello!
Im trying to install j9 personal profile 1.0 for window mobile 5.0 on a ipaq rx 1900, but I cant get the j9.exe to run properly. Everytime I try to run it I got the following error:
Failed to allocate default memory space

...and for that I can't run any of my java based applications.

Anyone here ever had trouble with j9 on windows mobile 5.0 or ipaq rx1900???

cheers!

Menneisyys
06-09-2006, 08:55 PM
Welcome to PPCT :)

I'm aftraid you won't ever be able to run J9 on your device because the latter severely lacks free RAM.

IBM J9 is WM5-compliant, especially the latest, 6.1 version. It works on all my WM5 devices. Therefore, your problem must be related to the severe lack of RAM memory.

BTW, you may want to read my article on the latest J9 version here on PPCT (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48558).

lucasdeoliveira
06-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Thanks for your reply!

Jesus....that's bad news...

I've tryied a few tricks just to make shure, but in the end the "Failed to allocate default..." message still apears.
I've rebooted the device and ran the GolfTracker example. In the first run it worked just fine. But when I try a second run it gives the following message:

JVMJ9VM015W: Initialization error for library j9jit23(11): cannot initialize JIT
JVMEXEX013E: Internal VM error: Failed to create Java VM

And if I try again and again in som moment it gives the first error message. So I think someone is not deallocating the memory properly....could it be a j9 problem? or a wm5.0 issue?

Another thing that I figure is that the ipaq rx 1950 have a Samsung processor and j9 for Personal Profile is made for ARM processors...am I right? Could that be the major problem?

BTW, awesome article!

cheers again!

Menneisyys
06-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Thanks for your reply!

Jesus....that's bad news...

I've tryied a few tricks just to make shure, but in the end the "Failed to allocate default..." message still apears.
I've rebooted the device and ran the GolfTracker example. In the first run it worked just fine. But when I try a second run it gives the following message:

JVMJ9VM015W: Initialization error for library j9jit23(11): cannot initialize JIT
JVMEXEX013E: Internal VM error: Failed to create Java VM

And if I try again and again in som moment it gives the first error message. So I think someone is not deallocating the memory properly....could it be a j9 problem? or a wm5.0 issue?

Another thing that I figure is that the ipaq rx 1950 have a Samsung processor and j9 for Personal Profile is made for ARM processors...am I right? Could that be the major problem?

cheers again!

It's possible J9 doesn't release dnamic memory upon exiting - dunno.

Try disabling Today plug-ins ; for example, Spb Pocket Plus consumes about 1.5 Mbytes of RAM. Similarly, if you have many (thousands of) contacts and appointments, they can also take up Megabytes of RAM.

BTW, what games ar eyou trying to run? Java games run pretty bad on the Pocket PC (and there're very few of them). Even Flash games are mor eplayable (see my Flash article if interested).

The Samsung is an ARM processor. There're not known incompatibility issues with it (except for the IrDA incompatibility issue because of the different infrared support.)

lucasdeoliveira
06-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Wow...that was fast...thank you mister Menneisyys!

You see I'm not trying to run any games (only the j9 example - GolfScoreTrackerrApp, wich I bealive it's not a big memory consumer). Even when I try to run j9.exe (after running any other j9 bases application) it gives me the same error message. And the other thing is that this device is new and I don't have any contacts or appointments on it since I'm a java programmer and this is a software-testing device.

This role sitiuation is too sad....3 days spent on this.....Is there any way to install another operational system on the device? say windows mobile 2003?

thanks mate!

Menneisyys
06-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Wow...that was fast...thank you mister Menneisyys!

You see I'm not trying to run any games (only the j9 example - GolfScoreTrackerrApp, wich I bealive it's not a big memory consumer). Even when I try to run j9.exe (after running any other j9 bases application) it gives me the same error message. And the other thing is that this device is new and I don't have any contacts or appointments on it since I'm a java programmer and this is a software-testing device.

This role sitiuation is too sad....3 days spent on this.....Is there any way to install another operational system on the device? say windows mobile 2003?

thanks mate!

1. it's not possible to downgrade the rx1950 to previous OS'es
2. give a try to alternate Java VM's. I recommend CrEme or Jeode - it has considerably slighter memory requirements (I've even posted on this in my Toonel tutorial (http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/menneisyys/ConfigureToonel45.asp) - see the 'Dynamic RAM usage (in Mbytes)' column in the chart). Hope they will run your stuff more reliably.

lucasdeoliveira
06-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Thank you Menneisyys! The problem is exactly the lack of memory....

Just in case anyone fall in the same error I solved the ridle...

Ipaq rx 1950 have only 32mb RAM and it uses some of this memory as cache, and that's the problem. So if there too much stuff on memory (like a dead j9 console - wich is NOT cleaned out from the memory after you close it) and your application needs too much memory (mine need 10 mb too work) you'll get an error message like "failed to allocate default memory space" or "cannot initialize JIT" and your application will crash. To make shure you have enough memory to run your program go to Start-> Settings->System Tab->Memory and stop any non-using program to give your application more memory to initialize.

so..after all it's possible to run a j9 for personal profile application on this device....(thank GOD!) :D

cheers!