View Full Version : Looking for a used pda - 2755 or x50v

Paul Martin
06-08-2006, 06:55 PM
I'm looking to replace my Jornada 568 with a newer WM2003/SE device. WM5 is not super critical to me. VGA would be nice, but it's not a deal-breaker. I had not really considered the 2755 until I ran across a good deal on one today. The longer battery life and greater RAM are real pluses. However, the VGA screen on the Dell is an attractive pull. (If I were going to get a Dell, I'd go for the VGA screen.) Both have built-in WiFi and 2 expansion slots, which are musts for me. Any other things or devices I should consider?

jgahr
06-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Although I have moved on to yet another unit (6515), this unit replaced 2215 & 4150 and works very well. I have used both the X50V and the 2755, and to be honest the screen didn't make that much of a deal breaker for me. The 2755 is still charging on my desk, and stays sync'ed, just can't seem to get rid of it (or any others basically). Just an overall good piece of equipment.
Gahr :mrgreen:

Paul Martin
06-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Thanks, jgahr. While I think the VGA would be nice, I can't say that I would really ever have the time to watch movies on it, other than as a novelty. RAM, now, that's another matter. My 64 MB on my Jornada just does't seem to hold all the apps I want, even installing the biggest guns to a CF card. (Textmaker, Adobe, + various games). It's nice to have the "first hand" report.

Have you noticed how these compare on:
- battery
- wifi reception

jpjehu
06-08-2006, 10:01 PM
No comparison - there are so many better things about the x50v that they are too many to list. You might want to purchase one WITHOUT the WM5 upgrade - I'm not sure that there is any significant benefit and I hear that it slows things down. Visit www.aximsite.com for more details.

But - to re-iterate - the x50v is a FAR SUPERIOR device - I had one for about a year before moving to a ppc phone.

rhmorrison
06-09-2006, 09:13 AM
8O Nooo.... Don't sell your Jornada 568! :cry:

From you list I would pick the Dell x50v but I do like the idea of the fingerprint scanner in the hp 2755. I still use my Jornada 568 and probably won't switch until I start having problems with it. AFAIAC it was a PDA way ahead of it's time. Plus I have some nice accesories that will only work with the unit e.g. my Stowaway Portable Keyboard that I just love even though I don't use it that often. Plus extra cradles, nice custom styles, etcetera.

When I am forced to buy a new unit then I would REQUIRE:
Compact flash slot
Long battery life :!:
3.5" screen minimum, 4" (or larger) better
WLAN b/g/n/?
GPS receiver
IrDa Rx/Tx (remote control)Some features that I would LIKE:
Fingerprint scanner (better security)
VGA
SD slot
Sonylike scroll wheel (left side of the unit)
Bluetooth (for using a BT keyboard)Good Luck with whichever unit you decide to buy.

Paul Martin
06-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Thanks, Bob. I really have enjoyed my Jornada. Last fall, I busted the screen (turned wrong in a tight spot and it must have provided the right amount of stress...I didn't drop it) and had it repaired. It's been a great unit. Make that 3 units with the dust problems. :lol: Over time, I've collected all the Jornada accessories, from the Stowaway and camera, to the PC card adapter, and even the CF II "backpack".

My reason for wanting a different device is
Built-in wifi...I get tired of having to drag out the card
Speed - The 206mhz is starting to show some age when I run newer apps.
More RAM - 64 just doesn't do it when I like to run multiple apps...it will, but just slows down
SD card option - my camera uses an SD slot, so it would be nice to be able to snag a photo from it and then e-mail it. (I do have the Jornada adapter...surprise!, but there again, another adapter I have to lug along)
Upgraded PocketIE - I'd like CSS support.
I still want to have the CF slot to be able to run my modem card as a back up, or my ethernet card. Interestingly, I love the side buttons/wheel for scrolling too. I think the x50v has buttons but the 2755 does not.

The Jornada gets pretty good battery life, so I'm hesitant to go the x50v route with it's reputation for a poorer battery. The 2755 wasn't even on my radar screen until I ran across a really good deal on one browsing various Pocket PC forums.

Pocketjumper
06-12-2006, 02:50 AM
I might be able to finally sell my old Toshiba e830 PDA eventually... I finally got around to having it fixed, as it is now operational, but now surplus to my requirements (I have a Dell Axim x51 ATM).

Paul Martin
06-12-2006, 03:36 AM
I might be able to finally sell my old Toshiba e830 PDA eventually... I finally got around to having it fixed, as it is now operational, but now surplus to my requirements (I have a Dell Axim x51 ATM).

Maybe by the time you're ready to sell, I'll be ready to buy. :) What did you need to have fixed?

Pocketjumper
06-14-2006, 10:52 AM

Maybe by the time you're ready to sell, I'll be ready to buy. :) What did you need to have fixed?

Battery connector, it turns out.