View Full Version : ActiveSync / Outlook Question

unw311
06-07-2006, 04:04 PM
I apologize if this has been asked before, and I am sure it probably has. I tried searching the forums for an answer to no avail...

I am using ActiveSync 4.1 (or whatever the newest version is, I believe it's 4.1) and WM5.

My outlook has an account that is used for sync'ing. All emails from my PC are also sent there. However I cannot send or receive from that account.

To send and receive I had to setup another account in Outlook to check the same mail account.

I cannot edit the account used for sync'ing to set it up for sending/receiving. Is there anyway to do this so I do not have to have 2 accounts on my PPC Outlook?

Thanks in advance.

Janak Parekh
06-07-2006, 06:33 PM
I cannot edit the account used for sync'ing to set it up for sending/receiving. Is there anyway to do this so I do not have to have 2 accounts on my PPC Outlook?
If I understand you correctly, you want to be able to sync your desktop Outlook and use the same Messaging/Inbox account for wirelessly sending/receiving email.

To the best of my knowledge, this is not possible. That special "Outlook E-Mail" account is used only for ActiveSync. The only way that account sends/receives wirelessly is via Exchange ActiveSync, which requires use of Exchange Server.

Instead, most people who do POP/IMAP mail from their Pocket PCs simply don't sync to their desktops and leave that account empty. Is there a reason you need the desktop sync?

--janak

unw311
06-08-2006, 03:20 AM
Nope, no reason at all. I just wondered if I was missing something or not doing something correctly. Seemed like an odd annoyance so I figured it couldn't possible be designed that way. Guess I was wrong.

No worries, I'll just not sync my mail. :)

On another note, anyone know why Pocket MSN always seems to have a problem connecting? My wireless connection works, I can surf, send/receive emails, access the net through other applications...but MSN always says it cannot connect. I've only had it actually connect one time since I purchased my PPC.

Constant Caffeine
06-08-2006, 04:42 PM
On another note, anyone know why Pocket MSN always seems to have a problem connecting? My wireless connection works, I can surf, send/receive emails, access the net through other applications...but MSN always says it cannot connect. I've only had it actually connect one time since I purchased my PPC.

How long have you been trying to connect? I read yesterday that MSN was hit by a virus and it was interrupting service.

unw311
06-08-2006, 05:13 PM
This has been an issue for about 2 months now since I purchased my PPC. (Ipaq 2490 btw)

I was just curious if other people have this issue or not. I know the MSN software isn't always the best, even my PC MSN occassionally refuses to sign in due to issues with MSN itself.

Are there any other PPC enabled IM's out there?

Sorry for all the questions if they seem trivial, I am obviously new to the PPC world...

Janak Parekh
06-08-2006, 05:50 PM
I was just curious if other people have this issue or not.
I only use MSN Messenger in Pocket MSN, and sporadically at that, but it works most of the time I try. I'll occasionally get a connection error, but retrying or cancel/reconnecting usually enables it to go through. Not quite sure why it's not working for you at all.

If you want a more powerful IM client, there's Agile Messenger (http://www.agilemobile.com/), amongst others, although it's not free IIRC.

--janak