View Full Version : PDAmill games won't install, WM5, supported device

pheral
06-05-2006, 12:16 AM
Whenever i use the .exe install file to install the PDAMill rpg game 'Arvale', 'Arvale 2' or 'Snails', it all goes swimmingly until it gets to the part when it asks me to check my device screen for any further actions. I look at my device screen, and i see the Today screen, but the lower bar has gone blank apart from the little keyboard icon, indicating i'm supposed to type something. So it's as if whatever screen is supposed to turn up isn't rendering properly.
I've also tried dumping the game folder contents onto my device and clicking the .cab file, but the same thing happens with the lower bar. The PDAMill site says my Acer n311 is a supported device for these games... so i thought i'd check here before i get in touch with them, to see if anyone has had similar diffs, or might know what gives?

Janak Parekh
06-05-2006, 02:20 AM
Have you had trouble installing software lately? The PDAMill games install the same way almost every other WM5 software does, so the symptoms you describe suggest something more general at work here.

(I also assume you've tried things like doing a soft-reset.)

--janak

pheral
06-05-2006, 11:53 AM
yes, i was worried that was the case myself, but i successfully installed both eWallet Pro and Lingvosoft Flashcards the same night (about 20 mins before). The lingosoft keyboard required a restart... but perhaps i will try a soft-reset tonight and then give the installation another go. I suspect it won't help, but i'm willing to try everything. Must... have... rpg! Darnit.

Janak Parekh
06-05-2006, 05:35 PM
yes, i was worried that was the case myself, but i successfully installed both eWallet Pro and Lingvosoft Flashcards the same night (about 20 mins before). The lingosoft keyboard required a restart... but perhaps i will try a soft-reset tonight and then give the installation another go.
Have you tried installing anything non-PDAmill since? Maybe one of those two caused a problem. I'm just trying to trace whether it's PDAmill's programs or not, so we can see where to debug from here.

--janak

pheral
06-05-2006, 08:19 PM
hooray!

okay. as per your instructions, i decided to sit down, do a soft reset and then try installing a trial of another program to see if that would work. But you got it with the first thing... i just hadn't been clever enough to try a soft reset straight after! i just did, and it installed everything in a line.

I feel a bit stupid, but at least now i know to do that straight after any install that goes wrong. seems wm5 sometimes just needs to restart and recognise what it was just asked to do!

thanks Janak, left to my own devices i wouldn't have done a reset for ages, i really appreciate you helping out :D

Janak Parekh
06-05-2006, 11:12 PM
I feel a bit stupid, but at least now i know to do that straight after any install that goes wrong. seems wm5 sometimes just needs to restart and recognise what it was just asked to do!
Well, I hate to say it, but whenever a computer is involved, the old adage is "When in doubt, reboot." This applies for Windows on the desktop and the Pocket PC. ;)

thanks Janak, left to my own devices i wouldn't have done a reset for ages, i really appreciate you helping out :D
You're welcome! That's what we're here for. Enjoy killing time with those PDAmill games.

--janak

pheral
06-06-2006, 09:39 AM
Well, I hate to say it, but whenever a computer is involved, the old adage is "When in doubt, reboot."

God i know, you'd think i'd have learnt by now! :P
The game is great, i was going to hit the sack at 4am last night and ended up playing Arvale for 40mins instead. Oiy. :roll:

Janak Parekh
06-06-2006, 10:24 PM
The game is great, i was going to hit the sack at 4am last night and ended up playing Arvale for 40mins instead. Oiy. :roll:
Well, you knew what you were going into. ;) Between PDAmill and Astraware, I've killed many, many hours on my Pocket PCs.

--janak