View Full Version : Why is there so little memory in PPC'S?

devoncatt
06-03-2006, 10:33 AM
With the cost of memory going down all the time why isn't there more memory in PPC's? No one would buy an MP3 player with only 128 Mb of memory. I have an external memory card but I am tired of hearing low memory.
devoncatt

isajoo
06-03-2006, 04:19 PM
i think it is simple economics, supply and demand. we want it, they dont want to give it to us. they like our money but they don't want spend too much of theirs. plus i think the memory upgrade would not be as simple for them as to just change the memory chip to 128 or so, they would have to order the preasembled whole processors with whichever size of memory on it. now, why do they not just spend the extra $10 for the better processors, PROFIT. have a good day.

Sven Johannsen
06-03-2006, 04:40 PM
What are you complaining about? We went to the moon on 64K of RAM. If it's good enough for NASA, who are you to want more ;)

When it was RAM part of the reasoning was that used battery power to keep the RAM refreshed. More RAM, shorter life. It's also not quite the same RAM/ROM you see in flash cards and PCs. It is more expensive, and every buck does count when you are trying to be competitive. I'll be honest with you, I had a couple of units upgraded to 128M of RAM and didn't really see a vaste improvement. A lot of the 'memory' issues are more a matter of processes that can be run, and leaks, not just basic shortage of memory.

Two things are in the wind that might make OEMs throw more memory in there. The structure change in WM that uses ROM for everything, reducing the power hit for more memory, and eliminating the dismal user experience when you run out of power. The other thing is CE6 coming out with a virtual elimination of the process limit. Well it's limited to 32,000 processes, but I'd guess you would actualyl run out of memory first in this case.

surur
06-04-2006, 07:49 PM
I think he is referring to flash ROM. I concur. Due to the WM bug where it loses the SD car when you suspend I have installed all my software to main storage. I now get the "your storage memory is critically low" error from time to time, despite using mermaid. Its pathetic really.

At least there will be some gigabyte devices coming out soon (e.g. HTC Muse)

Surur

Sven Johannsen
06-05-2006, 06:13 PM
I think he is referring to flash ROM. I concur. Due to the WM bug where it loses the SD car when you suspend I have installed all my software to main storage.
Could be. I haven't had a problem with the SD not being seen so have spread my programs across Storage and Flash they way I used to. System stuff; today screen, SIPs, etc. on Storage, regular apps on Flash.

surur
06-05-2006, 10:15 PM
I think he is referring to flash ROM. I concur. Due to the WM bug where it loses the SD car when you suspend I have installed all my software to main storage.
Could be. I haven't had a problem with the SD not being seen so have spread my programs across Storage and Flash they way I used to. System stuff; today screen, SIPs, etc. on Storage, regular apps on Flash.

Which device do you use. My HTC Universal with the Qtek ROM constantly loses the WMP Play-list for music on the SD card, so I know its a real problem.

Surur

Don't Panic!
06-06-2006, 02:53 AM
Which device do you use. My HTC Universal with the Qtek ROM constantly loses the WMP Play-list for music on the SD card, so I know its a real problem.

Surur

How are you getting the playlist on there? WMP10 for Windows Mobile doesn't allow for self created playlists to remain at all after you close the program.

Sven Johannsen
06-06-2006, 03:37 AM
To answer both,
Surer: I use a K-Jam day to day, but have a Jasjar too. Constantly rebuilding the latter playing. Also have an SP5 and a PDA-N. Really haven't had any of them lose the flash card and they all have them. I will say over the years I have been pretty lucky with my PPCs. Rarely have had the severe problems that some have had, though I know they are real. When my wife and I both got X50v's her digitizer drove her nuts. I had to use hers for a couple of days before it gave me the issues she was seeing all the time. Called Dell and they swapped it out and the new one was fine. I just like my PPCs...I think they sense that ;)

Don't Panic: Playlists in WM can only be moved to the device if you use the auto playlist feature in Media Player to sync. You can't select a playlist and say sync. You must set up autosync and then select the playlist(s) you want. The first way just copies the music, the second does the music and the list. You'll note there is a Playlist section in the library.