View Full Version : WM5: Sync'ing My Docs to a SD card, works with issues...expert help please

DavidinCT
06-03-2006, 03:56 AM
Hi all,

I have a HP hx4700 that has been upgraded to WM5. After seeing the performance issues after first install, I've been spending days, "tweaking" my pda and got back some good performance over all. One of the big things I have read on this new file system is to try to keep everything on a storage card and it will help wm5 run much better. During my search for "tweaks" I ran across this...To move your My Documents folder over to a CF/SD card by changing editing this in the registry.

Warning to all, don't edit the regitiry unless you know what your doing, it could cause major problems and cause your unit to stop working.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\Profiles\SDMemory
String: Folder
Original value: SD Card
Changed value: My Documents

Then by manually moving all your stuff in the my docs folder into the root of your CF/SD card and renaming the original my docs. On a restart (soft reset), it would start doing like it said, my files etc are all sync'ed in the card, instead of main Memory.

So far so good...of course there is always a problem. When I sync with activesync, I run into a problem with my notes. Everything else is fine besides the notes. On Sync'ing notes, Activesync give an error of "Cannot synchronize "<note name>" with the device. It may be in use or you may not have enough device memory".

The notes are copied onto the hx4700, they are shown in duplicate but, if you delete one, it will remove the 2 files. When on the 4700 I select notes and try to create a new one, an error will come up " Could not create the voice link recording directory". After creating one, it will not sync back to the PC.

I understand that some programs will need to be in the default directory on the unit but, if you have a 1+gb fast card, why not use it for this and gives you more room for data as well as other features (sync'ing media, etc).

Any advice to get this working I think would be a benifit to all with WM5.....

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Thanks !

DavidinCT
06-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Can anyone here help ? This is working great so far with all my files, media everything going right into the flash card, I really would like to see my Notes work again....

If anyone has any advidce, please post.

Or did I post this in the wrong area ? If so, Mods could you move it to the right area ?

Thanks !

Janak Parekh
06-05-2006, 06:19 PM
Hmm. I don't have a good answer for you. :( My guess is that Notes depends on that registry setting being the original value, and not changed to store My Documents on a storage card.

An alternative to consider is to use software that syncs straight to the storage card (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47942).

--janak