View Full Version : WM5 Questions

Kimbie
06-02-2006, 09:02 PM
Got a few questions about WM5

1. How do i change the wallpaper?

2. What is a hard reset? How is it done? Can i get my old settings back?

3. If i have a 1gb storage card, will the programs be installed there or not?

4. How do i lock the phone when it is in my pocket?

Cheers

Kimbie

Darius Wey
06-03-2006, 04:56 AM
1. How do i change the wallpaper?

Out of the box, you can choose from one of two options:

(1) Go to Start > Settings > Today, and use the "Use this picture as the background" option.

(2) Or go to Start > Programs > Pictures & Videos, find a picture, and select Menu > Set as Today Background.

2. What is a hard reset? How is it done? Can i get my old settings back?

A hard reset is a function to revert the device to factory default settings. It will wipe all user data on the internal memory.

You can initiate it using a few button sequences (this is device-dependent), or with a third-party application (such as Spb Pocket Plus). Which device do you have? Because each device has a different hard-reset button sequence, it'll help to know which one you have in order to help you out.

While it's possible to get customised user settings by importing old registry data, it's not really advised as it tends to import all the junk (null entries, etc.) with it.

3. If i have a 1gb storage card, will the programs be installed there or not?

You can choose. You'll have the choice of installing the application on your storage card or the device memory. Unless you're installing some sort of service, a Today plug-in, and/or a startup application, you should be able to install on the storage card without a hitch.

4. How do i lock the phone when it is in my pocket?

Do you have the Device Lock Today plug-in enabled? To check, go to Start > Settings > Today > Items, and ensure that Device Lock is ticked.

Go back to your Today screen and you'll see a "Device unlocked" section on the screen. If you tap it, that will lock both buttons and the screen.

Alternatively, most OEMs code some sort of hardware button lock in their device, so that when the device is in standby mode, pressing the buttons won't cause the device to wake up. As you'd expect, being OEM-dependent, the exact place of this option varies. Have a look around in your Settings menu for a Power or Backlight applet. They're usually the ones that have it.