View Full Version : Poll: Wires, or no wires?

karinatwork
05-31-2006, 08:28 PM
Please help me with this decision: I have to decide if I should buy the i-Tech R35 bluetooth stereo headset or the Seidio (wired) stereo headset for my I-mate Jamin. ("Earmuff" headsets are not an option for me).

POINT # 1: I hacked the registry in order to get wireless stereo enabled (A2DP), and although the "Wireless Stereo" option is now visible in the bluetooth settings, it's greyed out and I have not way to see if it's even working.

POINT # 2: The i-Tech stereo headset has cables from the clip to the ear. Which is not really a problem, but if I just think about it, if I add two more feet of cable, I can save $ 50 and get a headset that is retractable and SURE TO WORK.

POINT # 3: Bluetooth is just too cool, and if my device can handle it, why not use it?

So there you have it. If you had to sort out the same type of dilemma, please let me know with what decisions you came up with.

ADBrown
05-31-2006, 11:44 PM
I actually have a pair of i-Tech clip style BT headphones that I got off eBay for $30 shipped. While they're semi cool, the only reason I've found to use them is because they can pair to both my phone and my Axims, so that I can be alerted when my phone rings even if I can't hear it or feel the vibration. Other than that, they don't really offer a significant benefit over wired headphones. I personally would either go with completely wire-free headphones, or a wired pair. Going halfway gives you the disadvantages of both kinds.

pheral
06-01-2006, 09:46 AM
I'd be making the decision based on how i'd be using it... i was wandering around my room the other day holding my mobile to my ear in a queue for an Orange operative and trying to organise things at the same time, and wishing desperately i had a bluetooth headset so i could have both hands free and wander around with my phone just sitting on the desk a few feet away. you couldn't do that with wires. they also tend to get tangled in clothes or bag straps if you're out and about using the phone.
so initially i always go for wires or cables (i just like them), but for this i'd say it's fairly crucial to be uninhibited.

Sven Johannsen
06-03-2006, 03:53 AM
I'm out of line with the poll, but I'd go with the wired set, at least to start. I have all three options and several devices to use them with. I am relatively disappointed with the quality of stereo over BT, on the devices that support it from the PPC/SP. That is regardless of whether the unit is supposed to work, like the rx3715 with HPs drivers, or a K-Jam hacked to do so. Sound is good but there are dropouts.

A2DP does work pretty well from my PC to various BT headsets. I do have a little BT TX thing that plugs into my PPC headphone jack, and it works pretty well *, but the PPCs trying to do A2DP just aren't hacking it. That includes the X50v, which should have the processing power.

So, I'd say go wired, just because I'm sure you'll be pleased. You can run the cable inside your blouse and have the unit in your pocket if wire tangling is a concern. I just can't guarantee you'll be happy with the stereo part of the BT solutions.

* got the set BTH-820 and BTH-830 http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/globalsat-bth820.php

karinatwork
06-03-2006, 08:46 AM
I guess I shouldn't be allowed to do any polling, because I didn't listen to the poll result and two days ago, I ordered a Seidio wired retractable stereo headset. :) It usually upsets my husband when I ask him for advice and end up doing the exact opposite of what he suggested. :lol:

Thanks guys! (Especially you, Sven!)

:)

pheral
06-03-2006, 09:49 AM
that's what other people's opinions are best for! i always ask what everyone else would do and then end up doing exactly the opposite. doesn't matter whether you take their advice or not, just as long as they help you reach a decision.