View Full Version : HELP - IE Page not found using wireless

heathdavid
05-31-2006, 08:59 AM
I have fitted my IPAQ RZ1710 with an SDIO card. It correctly detects wireless networks including the identifier and MAC address etc but IE always gives the page not found error. I have tried many variations of settings without success. Any ideas please?

Nurhisham Hussein
05-31-2006, 09:23 AM
There could be multiple solutions involved here, depending on your network setup. Are you connecting at home, or at work? If the latter, is there a proxy for accessing the internet? If the former, is your router 802.11b or g? Is MAC filtering enabled on the router? Are you running an open network, or using encryption? If so, is it WEP or WPA, and does the software that came with your SD card support either? Is DHCP enabled on the router? The more info you can give, the faster we can come up with a solution.

heathdavid
05-31-2006, 10:12 AM
Hi and thanks for your fast reply. I have tried the RZ1710 on both my home wireless network and also a local open network with the same results.

My home is actually a boat so I have a desktop PC that connects to the internet through a 3G datacard and acts as the router and is 811g. I have security set up but have also tried it with security off and also Norton disabled. I can connect this way without trouble with my XP laptop.

The SDIO card is the Safecom card that they say is compatible with the RZ1710. It works as 811b. The card uses SD WLAN utility that reports that it is connectd to an " infrastructure station" I have tried using server assigned IP address and also assigned the same IP address and subnet mask that the server appears to be using. All without success.

Thanks

David

Nurhisham Hussein
05-31-2006, 02:55 PM
Hi and thanks for your fast reply. I have tried the RZ1710 on both my home wireless network and also a local open network with the same results.

Was the open network a hotspot or just somebody's open network? Have you tried a public hotspot?

My home is actually a boat...

Cool!8)

...so I have a desktop PC that connects to the internet through a 3G datacard and acts as the router and is 811g. I have security set up but have also tried it with security off and also Norton disabled. I can connect this way without trouble with my XP laptop.

I take it you're using ICS on the PC? Is the connection between the laptop and PC ad-hoc? There could be your trouble right there.

The SDIO card is the Safecom card that they say is compatible with the RZ1710. It works as 811b. The card uses SD WLAN utility that reports that it is connectd to an " infrastructure station" I have tried using server assigned IP address and also assigned the same IP address and subnet mask that the server appears to be using. All without success.

I wouldn't touch the IPs just yet, until we can eliminate some of the other potential issues. I really would suggest trying a public hotspot - if it works there, that eliminates hardware faults as a problem.

heathdavid
05-31-2006, 09:25 PM
The hotspot was our local pub that has an open network that visitors can use. I have used it with a friends lap top with success.

My knowledge of networking is limited so I don't understand what you are asking about using ICS on the PC. I think the connection is Ad-hoc but I am not sure how I would find out. I have just bought a hot spot finder that is also a USB wireless adaptor so have just set that up on the laptop and connected straight away.

Nurhisham Hussein
06-01-2006, 01:38 AM
The hotspot was our local pub that has an open network that visitors can use. I have used it with a friends lap top with success.

That implies the problem is on the PDA.

My knowledge of networking is limited so I don't understand what you are asking about using ICS on the PC.

Internet Connection Sharing - it's usually used when one PC is connected to the internet, and other devices go through that PC to do the same.

I think the connection is Ad-hoc but I am not sure how I would find out.

Easy enough on WinXP - open Network Connections in your control panel, right click and select properties on your wireless connection, click the wireless network tab, select the name of your network and click advance. Under the Association tab in the window that pops up, there should be a check box at the bottom. If it's ticked, then the connection is ad-hoc.

PDAs tend to have a bit of trouble with ad-hoc connections for some reason.

Does the Safecom software have a network sniffer?

heathdavid
06-02-2006, 09:24 AM
I have looked at connection sharing and I seem to have to choose between sharing my wireless connection and an internet connection. At the moment, it is set on sharing the wireless connection which still works fine with the laptop.

We spent last evening at the pub, purely in the interests of connecting the PDA you understand, but without success whatever settings I tried on the PDA. It found the open network, said that it was connected but still returned the page not found error. This had also worked fine with a laptop.

Nurhisham Hussein
06-02-2006, 10:03 AM
We spent last evening at the pub, purely in the interests of connecting the PDA you understand, but without success whatever settings I tried on the PDA. It found the open network, said that it was connected but still returned the page not found error. This had also worked fine with a laptop.

I'm starting to think you've got a hardware fault somewhere. You could go to the extreme of doing a hard reset and trying the pub network again, but I'd only do that as a last resort. One last try - don't touch the wireless settings, this is to create a new, blank network configuration for you to try out.

1. Go to Start->Settings->Connections tab->Connections
2. Click on the Advanced tab, the click on the 'Select Networks' button.
3. Under the first drop down box, click on the New button.
4. Give a name to this setting (e.g. 'My Wireless Network') then click on the Proxy tab.
5. Check the 'This network connects to the Internet', then click on ok.
6. Select your newly created network setting in both drop down boxes, then click ok until you get back to your today screen.
7. Down to the pub to check it out :)