View Full Version : Ipaq 3850 USB charge issue

hotlips69
05-31-2006, 03:42 AM
I've recently purchased a 2nd hand Ipaq 3850 with an official HP USB/Serial cradle and power supply.

When its on the cradle and connected to the mains it charges fine, and syncs perfectly via USB and/or serial with my PC.

I've been told that it SHOULD be able to charge via the USB port when not plugged into the mains, but I can't get it to!

Is there any option that I need to enable etc..?

Should this work as its been advertised to do so?

Thanks in advance.

Nurhisham Hussein
05-31-2006, 03:59 AM
You might want to check whether there's any power coming through the USB port you are using - alternatively, try another. If you are using a hub, you should make sure that the hub is independently powered.

hotlips69
05-31-2006, 07:26 PM
I was connecting it to one of my "front" USB slots on my PC, so I tried connecting it to one of the rear slots and it was the same.

Shouldn't all internal USB ports on a PC be powered?

Also, do I need to have Activesync running and connected for the charging to take place in this situation?

Finally, someone told me that there maybe an option to "allow charging via USB" somewhere that I need to enable?

Nurhisham Hussein
06-01-2006, 01:02 AM
Shouldn't all internal USB ports on a PC be powered?

A lot of older computers have unpowered USB slots. If you have access to another PC or laptop, you might try there as well - just in case your PC isn't giving out enough juice.

Also, do I need to have Activesync running and connected for the charging to take place in this situation?

No, not at all. In fact it's possible to charge from a standalone powered USB hub, or a AC-USB adapter. However, in many instances, you might have to have the PDA on for it to charge (and this will of course launch Activesync - but this doesn't seem to be your issue).

Finally, someone told me that there maybe an option to "allow charging via USB" somewhere that I need to enable?

Sorry, I can't help you there.