View Full Version : Screen reverse, hx 4700

watthell
05-30-2006, 12:04 AM
ok, lets see whos the smarty pants here.

I have an Ipaq hx 4700 and require the screen to be reversed, ie as if i was looking at it through a mirror. Not rotated, not upside down, just reversed.

Have yet to upgrade to wm2005 but would consider it if someone could guide me to an application that can perform this task.

better still, if anyone out there feels they could write such a program i'd be very grateful.

Cybrid
05-30-2006, 05:53 AM
ok, lets see whos the smarty pants here.

I have an Ipaq hx 4700 and require the screen to be reversed, ie as if i was looking at it through a mirror. Not rotated, not upside down, just reversed.

Have yet to upgrade to wm2005 but would consider it if someone could guide me to an application that can perform this task.

better still, if anyone out there feels they could write such a program i'd be very grateful. No clue how but really curious as to why?

isajoo
05-30-2006, 06:14 AM
second that...why...will be interesting to know how this would benefit.

David_C
05-30-2006, 01:38 PM
No clue either, but would like to know :)

pheral
05-30-2006, 02:00 PM
First thing that springs to mind is AOL Browsers 'i need a mirror' function for viewing internet pages in reverse. Of course, that's internet only, but it works on any webpage so perhaps there's some kind of viewer program that can be constructed, through which you view your pc software and it translates everything into mirror view before you see it.

No idea, but just musing on it. Intriguing idea.

watthell
05-30-2006, 02:39 PM
Its actually to allow me to view my sat nav at night as a head up display by relfecting it against the widescreen. works quite well with the great screen on hx 4700 but obviously its showing up back to front.

pheral
05-30-2006, 03:30 PM
I was going to suggest relfecting the screen twice in two mirrors, but that'd involve facing it towards the windscreen so you'd not be able to operate it. Still might be a lot easier than getting a custom made piece of software to reverse the screen! But then again, might also be damn dangerous, with mirrors stuck everywhere in the car. 8O

Oh, and then there's the new PDA's that have inbuilt projectors, they'd be perfect, if expensive.

ADBrown
05-30-2006, 08:16 PM
I was wondering if it was going to be some kind of Da Vinci Code thing. That's a fairly cool idea, though.

watthell
05-30-2006, 11:21 PM
Can say with confidence that the natural reflection of my windscreen makes this mockup HUD fantastic, gives me head up speed, direction of road ahead and means i never have to take my eyes off the road. Biggest advantage comes when crossing into EIRE, having km/s speed in an easy to read format is worth the cost of the setup alone.

Thanks for all the suggestions, cant see it being that difficult to program considering everything else that can be done with the screen, just not determined enough to learn how to program from scratch.

Cybrid
05-31-2006, 12:38 AM
I was going to suggest relfecting the screen twice in two mirrors,.... Nope...just one.

Make a black box to fit over the PDA screen with a 45° mirror placed above like a periscope.
Will work just fine.

isajoo
05-31-2006, 05:22 AM
i have played with navigation apps b4 and have to say have never been able to leave it alone for more than 5 secs... so with your set up it would not really work for many that want to input anything into the ppc. just mount it higher to see the road and navigation. maybe a suction cup style cellular mount on the top of the dash.

pheral
05-31-2006, 09:47 AM
Nope...just one.
Make a black box to fit over the PDA screen with a 45° mirror placed above like a periscope. Will work just fine.

Aha, you got it. My brain went a bit left center, as i was imagining the windscreen as a 'mirror', and had no clue how to angle them all. A periscope setup would work great!

But yes, you'd not actually be able to get to the pda, lol. Ahwell, it'd be a good icebreaker no? "what is that rediculous looking thing in the front of your car...?"

watthell
05-31-2006, 11:42 AM
just a few little pointers,

.:. Using a mirror is going to cause problems when other vehicles have lights on coming towards me, the reflection from the mirror could blind me, not very safe really...plus why add a mirror when reversing the screen would do the exact same thing?

.:. If you setup sat nav correctly you shouldnt need to touch it until you have reached your destination, if you find your constantly interacting with it then its not doing its job very well. I have yet to change anything whilst driving and always get to my destination, in fact having it facing the opposite direction when driving will remove the temptation to touch it whilst driving. safety first.

isajoo
05-31-2006, 10:56 PM
i meant that i have to make adjustments to the pocket pc...like media player to play mp3 will the nav did its thing.

but his idea might work for him.

Cybrid
06-01-2006, 04:06 AM
just a few little pointers,

.:. Using a mirror is going to cause problems when other vehicles have lights on coming towards me, the reflection from the mirror could blind me, not very safe really...plus why add a mirror when reversing the screen would do the exact same thing? Nope, the mirror would be facing the windshield

.:. If you setup sat nav correctly you shouldnt need to touch it until you have reached your destination, if you find your constantly interacting with it then its not doing its job very well. I have yet to change anything whilst driving and always get to my destination, in fact having it facing the opposite direction when driving will remove the temptation to touch it whilst driving. safety first. Well said, once set correctly...you leave it and let it guide you.

watthell
06-01-2006, 01:14 PM
On the first point :

Surely if a mirror was facing the windshield one of two effects will occur:
when headlights reflect:

.: Headlights beams would reflect off the mirror and then off the windshield itself, adding a lot of light to the inside of the car, effectively reducing my vision massively, something similar to having an interior light on in the car at night.

.: The beams would reflect back out of the car, blinding the very same car whos headlights are coming towards me? Although would come in handy when front facing speed cameras are trying to see the car on a bright sunny day.

On the second:

.: Its very true that sat nav should just work once setup and for me it does. One very useful voice command i have programmed into my setup is to block roads, ie roads closed or heavily congested, it will then tell me which road to use to escape to, again only needing to press one button, so as safe as it gets.

I'm kinda coming around to the idea of some mirror type device but maybe less reflecting as your standard mirror, the idea of being able to 'see through' the HUD is still quite important and think too 'perfect' a mirror will reduce my visibility.

but..... screen reverse will make this whole thing so much easier.

Strange enough: Whilst searching through google on this topic i recall reading of a person who had a fault with his Ipaq that caused the screen to reverse intermittently, now if only i had a similar fault! :devilboy:

Cybrid
06-02-2006, 02:06 AM
.: Headlights beams would reflect off the mirror and then off the windshield itself, adding a lot of light to the inside of the car, effectively reducing my vision massively, something similar to having an interior light on in the car at night.

Nope, At a 45° angle the light would be reflected to the PDA screen (some would reflect back to mirror and onto windshield but...) the glare would be equivalent to what you already get having a PDA face the windshield. Without a lens to concentrate the light, it doesn't get brighter. ;)

backdoc94
06-03-2006, 02:11 AM
I was driving last night and decided to do the same thing by putting my iPAQ on the dash and using the reflection on the windshield. I have been looking all day for reversing screen software but no luck. The mirror idea is interesting but seems a bit awkward. If anyone makes one please post a photo.

watthell
06-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Looks likes its time to give up.

Thank for all the help, pm me if you do ever stumble across anything suitable.

Ta

Alex