View Full Version : HP iPAQ rx 1950: Connects to Wireless, but "Page Not Found"

AMStory
05-28-2006, 07:54 PM
Hi. I'm new to PDAs entirely and this is my first one ever so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I can get it connected to my WiFi spot, but whenever I try to access the internet, it tells me the page is not found, even when going to HP websites and such. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance. :)

Cybrid
05-28-2006, 09:19 PM
Hi. I'm new to PDAs entirely and this is my first one ever so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I can get it connected to my WiFi spot, but whenever I try to access the internet, it tells me the page is not found, even when going to HP websites and such. What am I missing?

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/Connection_Manager/ConnectionManager.html

AMStory
05-28-2006, 10:28 PM

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/Connection_Manager/ConnectionManager.html

Ah... what is in my 'Connections' tab is different. There's also an 'iPAQ Wireless' icon and a 'Network Cards' icon... which makes this somewhat difficult to follow...

EDIT: For the record I did attempt to follow the instructions and I think I did it right but still nothing works.

Nurhisham Hussein
05-29-2006, 01:35 AM
Ah... what is in my 'Connections' tab is different.

No surprises there - every change in the OS has had changes made in the Settings.

There's also an 'iPAQ Wireless' icon and a 'Network Cards' icon... which makes this somewhat difficult to follow...

Both of those are there because of the aforementioned changes - the network connection manager and wifi/network card manager were seperated in WM2003SE. However, Cybrid was absolutely correct in pointing you to these instrucitons. 9 times out of ten, the problem is usually here.

EDIT: For the record I did attempt to follow the instructions and I think I did it right but still nothing works.

Could you provide us some details on what your wifi network setup is like? Especially your router settings, like encryption type (WPA, WEP)? MAC filtering? Using a proxy or gateway? 802.11b or g? Speaking of b and g, is the router running in dual mode, or just 'g'?

AMStory
05-29-2006, 06:02 PM
Um, let me see. I hope I get this all right.

I THINK mine is WEP. don't think there's Mac Filtering, and I believe I use a gateway because it says "Default Gateway" when I go to look at my settings. I don't know what "802.11b" or anything means.

Nurhisham Hussein
05-30-2006, 02:13 AM
I THINK mine is WEP.

The rx1950 might not support WPA, which is why I asked.

don't think there's Mac Filtering, and I believe I use a gateway because it says "Default Gateway" when I go to look at my settings.

That's fine - MAC filtering disallows any computer/device from accessing the network even if a connection is established, unless it's on the allowed list. Theoretically, each device has a unique MAC.

Your gateway settings appear to be fine - some networks have a PC between the internet and the wireless router ("gateway") for security reasons (you'll need the PC's IP as the gateway in this instance), but in your case the router is functioning as the gateway.

I don't know what "802.11b" or anything means.

'b' (11MBps) and 'g' (54MBps) are different wireless technical standards - your PDA is 'b' only. Most wireless routers support both, and 'g' routers are supposed to be backwards compatible, but only if you set it in 'b' compatibility mode (aka 'mixed' or 'auto').

AMStory
05-30-2006, 10:55 PM
Hmmm. I hope this what you're talking about, but when I look at my "Speed" it tells me 48.0Mpbs?

Nurhisham Hussein
05-30-2006, 11:03 PM
Then you are most certainly on 'g'. You'll need to check your router settings ot see which mode it's on - 'g' only, or mixed 'b/g'.