View Full Version : Handango - So Angry!!

SHC
05-27-2006, 03:45 PM
I have used Handango for years, I have probably several hundered dollars worth of purchases. I can re-download them all at will. Or at least I could. Now they want more money to download my own purchased programmes. Apparantly they want download protection. More dollars.
This sounds almost like a protection racket to me.
I am so cross.
In future I will try to download from the developers site or PocketGear never again from Handango. I even tried to contact customer support - I couldn't. It went round and round in circles back to the same page where I started!
Oh I am so cross.

Guest979
05-27-2006, 04:37 PM
There is already a thread about Handango download protection, but in short, I think everyone hates Handango. :(

Unfortunately, the other options, especially PocketGear, are also widely despised. There just aren't many great options out there, and most people end up purchasing from "the least of all evils," or even "the most convenient of all evils."

kaiden.1
05-29-2006, 02:30 AM
I have bought from handango for years as well. I use them because I get the rewards back from purchases to give me free money towards more software. I have copied all my software to CD's for that very reason. I asume that they are looking for another way to make money since the purchases of software are dwindling with the whole market.

smittyofdhs
05-29-2006, 03:02 AM
not to add fuel to fire, but has anyone tried going, from your phone, to the mobile version of handango lately....

last night the page I use now forces me to download the handango inhand app. so I gave it try. the first version I got had no button to *try it* just a *buy it* button. so I uninstalled it because I never buy before try. I later was able to install what appeared to be a different version as the name of the file include *vzw* which a verzion wireless is where the link was. this version had a try button but guess what, every single app doesn't offer trial version per the error message, even ones I know do offer a trial like resco explorer. needless to say it was uninstalled within minutes.

I'm not happpy with handango at all.

**sent from 6700**

shaxs
05-29-2006, 06:54 AM
There is already a thread about Handango download protection, but in short, I think everyone hates Handango. :(

Unfortunately, the other options, especially PocketGear, are also widely despised. There just aren't many great options out there, and most people end up purchasing from "the least of all evils," or even "the most convenient of all evils."

I would suggest mobihand.com. Why? Well, the people that run it are excellent. They are very friendly and helpful. They also give the most back to us developers; so more power to them. Give em a shot!

ChristopherTD
05-30-2006, 08:58 AM
You can still download programs by typing in the credit card number you used to purchase the program with. It is a bit of a pain when the product is updated frequently. But so far I haven't been prevented from re-downloading anything that I have purchased (and I never purchase the "protection").

Guest979
05-30-2006, 04:23 PM
You can still download programs by typing in the credit card number you used to purchase the program with. It is a bit of a pain when the product is updated frequently. But so far I haven't been prevented from re-downloading anything that I have purchased (and I never purchase the "protection").

Yeah, although I have seen the feature advertised on their site myself, and have also read threads about it, I still don't really understand what benefit this service is supposed to provide. For many programs, I think you could just download the trial version and input your code again.

My only guess is that it is a local mirroring service, in case the original developer discontinues the product or goes out of business altogether (it happens, trust me...). This is just a guess, and I'm not even sure if it is a local mirror at all.

ChristopherTD
07-24-2006, 08:11 AM
It is even worse than I expected. I had to hard reset my JasJar at the weekend and went (naturally) to Handango to download the most recent versions of the software, just so that I was up to date.

No such luck. They wouldn't let me download most (but not all) of the 50 or 60 odd programs I have purchased. They kept telling me to buy download protection for $8.21. What is worse is that this only applies to one product, so if I wanted to download all my software I would have to pay them $500. Each Year.

Fortunately most PPC software can be downloaded direct from the developer and registered with the code from the Handango purchase. Not all of it though.

What a wonderful way to treat your customers.

David_C
07-24-2006, 11:14 AM
I've had to hard reset my Hx4700 more then once (my fault, not HP's) :) and all I do is 1 of 2 things: I have a folder in my download directory on my computer which is labelled PDA Files.

Each time I either upgrade or buy a program for the PDA, I just add it to the folder.

I also keep a copy of my registration codes on Gmail, that way I can search it find my codes easily.

If I happen to forget to place a program into that folder, I just redownload the "trial" version, put in my registration code, and Viola, I am back in business.

Dave :)

SteveHoward999
07-24-2006, 07:43 PM
Not sure I really understand the problem. I go to the software manufacturers to redownload or upgrade. Costs nothing ...

ChristopherTD
07-24-2006, 07:53 PM
There are a few suppliers who provide a different package to purchasers, it isn't the same as the free trial version. Those are the ones that it is difficult to redownload. PDAMILL often do this.

Agreed, it is more of a nuisance than a show stopper in most cases.

applejosh
07-24-2006, 07:56 PM
Not sure I really understand the problem. I go to the software manufacturers to redownload or upgrade. Costs nothing ...

The problem usually comes from those developers that distribute full versions of the app directly from Handango (rather than those that use a registration key method). Example: List Pro 3.x or 4.x

Apparently, Handango feels they're being taken advantage of as far as downloads go, so they have implemented lots of fun little things to either extract more money from purchasers or gather more email addresses for their database (try to download a demo as a completely anonymous person).

Brad Adrian
07-24-2006, 08:31 PM
...Each time I either upgrade or buy a program for the PDA, I just add it to the folder. I also keep a copy of my registration codes on Gmail, that way I can search it find my codes easily...
Good man! That's exactly the way it should be done!

ChristopherTD
07-25-2006, 07:52 AM
I have all my registration codes in eWallet, and (usually) a copy of the installation EXE on either my work or home PC. When reinstalling I like to have the most recent version and I used to just sit on my Handango page, download the most recent, install it, register it, and go to the next one. Now there are a few more steps to go through.

Because WM5 is quite picky about reinstalling stuff it is good to put the current version on!

The irritation is that Handago retrospectively place this restriction on downloading, and want to charge for getting it lifted.

Ilium Software
07-25-2006, 02:14 PM
Hey Everyone,

Just to let you know, you can ALWAYS contact us directly to redownload software. If you purchased from Handango we'll have a record.

We've talked to Handango about this issue (and how people feel about it) and right now they are committed to this idea so I doubt you'll see it go away anytime soon.

Also, as you might know, we have an online store through Handango (in addition to our direct store) and for that store we had them turn off the auto-check protection purchase option. This means you don't have to remember to uncheck it to avoid the charge.

Anyhow, we understand the frustration and as always, just email us, give us a call, or fill out our request form online and we'll be happy to get you any downloads you need.

Marc Tassin
Ilium Software
--------------------
[email protected]
+1 (734) 973-9388
---------------------
http://www.iliumsoft.com

And be sure check out our new blog! http://blog.iliumsoft.com/

ChristopherTD
07-25-2006, 03:04 PM
Marc

Thanks for confirming that - I have always been able to get a rapid response from you guys when I have needed to get a key or download, which is especially useful as all my other keys are stored in eWallet!

I wouldn't mind paying $8 each year for all the products I have purchased from Handango if they really felt that they had to charge. But $8 for each product is insane. Strange that they didn't listen to a respected developer who must be one of their top sellers!

Menneisyys
07-25-2006, 05:20 PM
try to download a demo as a completely anonymous person).

You can give it any well-formed (but invalid) e-mail address like [email protected] :)

SteveHoward999
07-25-2006, 05:35 PM
You can give it any well-formed (but invalid) e-mail address like [email protected] :)

My favourite - [email protected]

applejosh
07-25-2006, 05:53 PM
I'm well aware that I can spoof an email address. But the point is I don't think I should have to. If they're going to make it a pain in the ***, then I'll go elsewhere. I'm personally hoping Handango experiences a massive defection to other software providers and experiences a painful death. Is that going too far?

To be honest, I don't think they deserve half of what they get. It's not like they have a support department with any kind of response time. (I think I'm still waiting on an answer for a complaint of undelivered product from 2 years ago.) I honestly think the people who run it are trying to buy a company yacht or something and want to screw people out of more money so they can get it.