View Full Version : Looking for a Pocket PC Phone Edition with these features

JesterMania
05-26-2006, 11:10 PM
I figured I was going to change cellphone, plan, and maybe service provider around the end of this year, and so I began looking on the internet for a Pocket PC (Phone Edition) to suit my needs. However, I was disappointed when I couldn't find one that seemed to have all the features I needed, so I'm posting here in hopes that someone knows a specific model that suits what I'm looking for. Here is what I want my PPC PE to have:

- VGA resolution (640x480)
- Wi-Fi
- GPS
- Bluetooth (nice, but not required)

My current service provider is Telus Mobility (I'm in Canada) and the closest thing they have seems to be the UTStarcom 6700, which I considered at first but lack of GPS and most importantly, a QVGA screen kept me from using it.

The other device I'm aware of is the iPAQ hx65xx, but that has a little 240x240 screen, which just doesn't cut it.

So, can anyone recommend a device for me (or one that fits these requirements as closely as possible)?

alese
05-27-2006, 12:16 AM
First the "bad" news.
There are no current Phone Edition that has all the features you want.
But, if you use GSM standard and if you are willing to import a device (can be expensive) you can get close.
You can look at HTC Universal device (it comes with many different names - Qtek 9000, O2 XDA Exec, T-Mobile MDA Pro...). It has VGA screen, WiFi and Bluetooth, but no GPS (you can add Bluetooth GPS unit). This one is the only VGA Phone Edition sold internationally.

If you want GPS built in there are more options, but none of them has VGA screen. You can look at iPaq 69xx series or maybe E-TEN G500 (no WiFi) or Mio A701...

ADBrown
05-27-2006, 12:49 AM
You have two options: Buy a Pocket PC phone which will lack a VGA screen and GPS. Or buy a VGA/GPS Pocket PC like the Loox N560 which will lack phone functions, then pair it with a Bluetooth cell phone for internet access.

isajoo
05-27-2006, 05:09 AM
that is one strong drink u concocked... might be easier/faster to just start your own ppcpe company to built it to specs... put me down for 3 units. other than gps/vga... you got a lot of chooses. but if there is such a powerful device out there, would you be able to handle all of those connections. good luck on your journey... your gonna run into a lot of bugs.

JesterMania
05-27-2006, 05:41 AM
Well, thanks for all your comments. I'll take a look at some of the HTC devices and see if I can come up with one that I like. Frankly speaking, I didn't forsee it would be that much trouble for a company to make such a device. For example, VGA+Wi-Fi+Bluetooth is already available on an x51v, and GPS has been integrated into devices such as the LOOX and iPAQ hwxxxx. Maybe I'll wait some more and see what new devices come out later this year and the next... :wink:

Don't Panic!
05-27-2006, 03:32 PM
I'm not sure where you from JesterMania but in the USA an HTC Universl device costs at least a grand.

While it has most of what you want (but with the GPS option well..optional), You'll spend over $100USD to get it. It's heavy too. :wink: