View Full Version : HELP Re: HP 1940 and upgraded software

JCNSH
05-25-2006, 05:09 PM
My family now has an HP 1940 and 1955. The former uses PPC 2003 and the latter Mobile 5.0. If I wish to load the software that came with the 1955 (Windows Media Player 10 and Activesync 4.1) and use it on the computer that will sync with the 1940, will the unit function properly or should I use the older software, i.e. WMP9 and Activesync 3.7, with the 1940?

Darius Wey
05-25-2006, 05:33 PM
Welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts.

Are you referring to the mobile or desktop versions of Windows Media Player? The mobile versions cannot be freely installed on any device. They have to be released specifically by each OEM, and unfortunately for you, Windows Media Player 10 Mobile was never and will never be released for the h1940.

ActiveSync, on the other hand, is backward-compatible, so you can install v4.x and have it work with both your h1940 and rx1955.

JCNSH
05-26-2006, 06:14 AM
Thank you for your assistance re: my questions. I do understand that I will have no problem using my 1940 w/the newer version of ActiveSync.

Since I do have a new desktop which came w/the desktop version of Windows Media Player 10, but the HP 1940 has WMP 9, will my new PC and the HP 1940 be compatible re: the use of the WMP without loading the older desktop version 9 of the player?

Again, thank you for you help.

Darius Wey
05-26-2006, 11:53 AM
Since I do have a new desktop which came w/the desktop version of Windows Media Player 10, but the HP 1940 has WMP 9, will my new PC and the HP 1940 be compatible re: the use of the WMP without loading the older desktop version 9 of the player?

The operation of Windows Media Player 9 Mobile is independent of that of Windows Media Player 10 on the PC. You'll still be able to playback media fine.

Some sync functionality (e.g. DRM) won't work as it should in Windows Media Player 9 Mobile, but there's nothing you can really do about that.

Guest979
05-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Some sync functionality (e.g. DRM) won't work as it should in Windows Media Player 9 Mobile, but there's nothing you can really do about that.

I am successfully using Pocket Player on my iPaq 1940 to play WMA files with DRM. I posted a thread previously, asking if the software actually extended my iPaq's abilities, or if it actually already had this capability, but did not receive any replies.

Darius Wey
05-27-2006, 04:53 AM
I am successfully using Pocket Player on my iPaq 1940 to play WMA files with DRM. I posted a thread previously, asking if the software actually extended my iPaq's abilities, or if it actually already had this capability, but did not receive any replies.

There are different versions of WMA DRM technology. If you ever plan on downloading and playing Janus DRM files, you will be forced to upgrade your device.

Guest979
05-27-2006, 04:45 PM
The PocketPlayer thing was mostly just an "experiment" at this point anyway... I still use iTunes for serious purchases. If MSN Music ever gets a song I care about that iTunes doesn't have, then it might become important, but there isn't much variance in selection across the different download stores. I think it depends on the record labels (and their lawyers and bureaucrats) more than on anything else.

Darius Wey
05-27-2006, 05:12 PM
I still use iTunes for serious purchases. If MSN Music ever gets a song I care about that iTunes doesn't have, then it might become important, but there isn't much variance in selection across the different download stores. I think it depends on the record labels (and their lawyers and bureaucrats) more than on anything else.

There's a bigger worry than selection (mind you, URGE has a sizable collection) and that's the actual Janus DRM sync experience. It's annoyingly broken in both WMP 10 and WMP 11. I'm sure Janak has a huge rant lined up for us in the not-too-distant future.