View Full Version : Why can't I schedule more than one backup per day???

ericp
05-23-2006, 05:58 AM
Maybe I've just missed this for the past 3 weeks or so, but is there any way to add more than one scheduled backup PER DAY on a Pocket Pc based handheld???

I schedule my Palm T3 to backup every 2 hours and it is far more reliable than my Ipaq Rx3115... In fact, I'm a bit nervous keeping important data on my Ipaq since I've had to hard reset a few times already and lost data seems common for me on this thing.

Are there any solutions to break the one backup per day schedule???

Thanks.

isajoo
05-24-2006, 06:01 AM
sorry to confuse you, but i dont really see why i would want to back up more than once a day, are i using activesync to back up or another program , i use spb backup and it backups all data once a day straight to the sd card i would imagine that u have a external memory like sd or cf to backup documents that u change or create through out the the day. that way there should not be a need for backups all the time, no?

Nurhisham Hussein
05-24-2006, 07:22 AM
Actually, iPaq backup is a non-standard program that doesn't come with Windows Mobile - it's actually a cut down version of Sprite Backup. Most other vendors' backup implementations don't even have scheduled backups.

That's probably cold comfort, but that's the situation in the Pocket PC world. In fact, Microsoft has even taken out the backup function entirely from Activesync for version 4.x - they don't think it's necessary with the persistent storage feature of WM5. :roll:

ericp
05-24-2006, 02:49 PM
sorry to confuse you, but i dont really see why i would want to back up more than once a day, are i using activesync to back up or another program , i use spb backup and it backups all data once a day straight to the sd card i would imagine that u have a external memory like sd or cf to backup documents that u change or create through out the the day. that way there should not be a need for backups all the time, no?

Well, to give you an example... I work in Sales and my PDA holds EVERYTHING... emails, schedules, quotes, etc... If I were to lose even a few hours of data, it could cost me lot's of time and money.

With the PPC backup 'solutions' there is no ideal time to schedule a backup. If I scheduled it at 1pm, what happens if I lose the entire day of data before 12?

I just think PPC users should have the option of allowing multiple scheduled backups per day - not everyone is chained to a computer that can be used to sync data to.

isajoo
05-24-2006, 09:30 PM
i think thats why they made wm5.... for users that require persistent memory.

i have wm2003 and i schedule a backup every night automatically without syncing to a pc. Then if i install or adjust any major programs that are stored in the main memory, i can simply backup manually at any given time. That suits my needs.

Not sure what version of windows mobile yours using...but if its for work...try wm2005 (but dont start to complain about speed and other bugs in it)

good luck.