View Full Version : Dead iPAQ, Can it be fixed?

eddiemoo
05-22-2006, 11:29 PM
PLEASE HELP!

One morning last week my iPAQ 4150 decided not to power on. I tried plugging it in to the power in case the battery was flat and it briefly displayed an image without responding to input. I pressed the hard-reset with the stylus. The screen went black with just a slight off-black glow and stayed like this so I removed and re-inserted the battery and the power. It did not power on (no glow at all) or display a power light and has not done so since -- ie completely dead.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Any ideas where best to start to fix this? Thankfully I have a full backup (Sprite) from the night before and a copy of the card which is intact. FYI, removing the card or trying another battery makes no difference, and the bit of plastic that gets flicked by the battery cover to allow the device to power on is being flicked ok. The battery should have been ok when the problem occured and I wa srunning nothing out-of-the-ordinary the night before.

In the event there is no hope for my iPAQ, do I need to restore a Sprite image to the same model or will it work on different hardware?

Many Thanks
- Edd -

PS Anyone who can help, you're a legend! I'll wire you a virtual beer ;-)

ntractv
05-22-2006, 11:40 PM
This happened to me once with the 3835. Try taking out the battery and leaving it out for about five minutes. Can't promise, but for some reason it worked for me.

tivoboy
05-23-2006, 05:21 PM
there is also some unique key combo that will bring it back to life. This is a battery thing.

try searching over on the hp forums, that should yield the result.

eddiemoo
05-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Thanks all.

Reading ntractv's comments I added the battery a week later and ... it worked! It needed a restore but is now working fine!

Sounds like the same problem but was broke more than 4 hours on the original day. I had not tested since!

Please accept my gratidude and this virtual beer travelling across the ether for your good advice! THANKS!

- Edd -