View Full Version : What is permalink?

rookcnu
05-22-2006, 03:00 AM
Well,... I know WHAT it is, but I don't get anything to happen when I click on it.

I thought the idea of a permalink was to save that particular article/blog/post for later. This website has them on the front page. When I go to click the permalink link for a particular post, it opens up the entire version of that post in a new page.

Then what? Is it saving it for me somewhere for a later date? Like maybe in the Favorites section in Internet Explorer?

I don't get it. Could someone please help me understand?

Thanks!

Edgar_
05-22-2006, 04:51 AM
The function of a permalink is to provide a URL that doesn't change over time. If you want to add it your favs, you'll have to add that yourself manually. Many sites have a link that is temporary - say for a front page display - but want to save the article for long term reference at a later date after the front page has been refreshed. A permalink provides this capability.

Wiki:
A permalink (a portmanteau made by contracting the phrase "permanent link") is a type of URL designed to refer to a specific information item (often a news story or blog item) and to remain unchanged permanently, or at least for a lengthy period of time to prevent link rot.

Brad Adrian
07-06-2006, 03:35 PM
...a portmanteau...
"Portmanteau?!?" Well, la-de-da!

Maybe my comments in an earlier thread about the demise of the English language (or its use of Middle French words, at least) were premature, since I had to look this one up! ;)

BoxWave
07-14-2006, 07:17 PM
...a portmanteau...
"Portmanteau?!?" Well, la-de-da!

Maybe my comments in an earlier thread about the demise of the English language (or its use of Middle French words, at least) were premature, since I had to look this one up! ;)

speaking of which, while i didn't get to read through all your posts, your first one was definitely spot on :). in my own life, i've found communication continually finds a way to be king...

of course that phrase right there opens up a whole new set of doors. now we just have to contextualize what effective communication icommunication a bit more. argh! i'm writing too much! very good post mr. adrian :).

W