View Full Version : Sometimes The Smaller Company Outshines Larger

Jon Westfall
05-21-2006, 12:46 AM
A few weeks back, I posted <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48451">about</a> my ordeal trying to order a case and get it shipped. Thankfully, when conversing with the company that I ordered from, they made every effort to get the case out to me, and to keep a customer happy. The best thing about the interaction was that the smaller company could actually keep conversations going thorugh email (No complicated support system where I got a new rep each time), and was dedicated to the customer. Today I got the case, and am very happy with the service, aside from the shipping trouble.<br /><br />So while bigger might be better in some cases, are their any retailers that you have dealt with that have gone the extra mile in service to off-set the selection of their larger competitors? Is it better to have a company that will work with you or a company that simply is larger? And if you want that personal touch, how do you identify smaller companies that you feel can provide it?

MitchellO
05-21-2006, 02:40 AM
I'd like to commend DigitalStar computers here in Australia ( www.digitalstar.com.au ) for their efforts in getting my PC fixed.

When I received my new PC (Thursday) from them it worked fine, but 3 days later (Saturday) it wouldn't boot. They came to pick it up on Monday, but I missed their courier so they came back Tuesday. I had it back on Thursday.

This was even though it was a return to base warranty, and it wasn't technically DOA. The phone support were very helpful, and spoke English!!

So far I am very happy with their service.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9291/CIMG5754Small.jpg
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Paragon
05-21-2006, 05:56 PM
Personally I would recommend MadMonkeyBoy to anyone looking for new hardware. David has repeatedly gone far beyond what most competitors offer for support. Across the community you will find dozens of posts from people who have dealt with David and have found his service outstanding.

Here in Canada I would recommend SuperiorGadgets. What David does in the USA Paul, and Igor provide here in Canada. If you are in the GTA area they will often arrange to meet at a spot of convenience for easy pickup. They work very hard to see that their customers are satisfied with their purchase.

I know it is easier for smaller companies to provide quality service and support at a personal level, but I don't think it is impossible, or even that difficult for larger corporations to deliver quality support. Many times in the past I have dealt with HP, and Dell for warranty and every single time I have received excellent, prompt support. More than once I have had to exchange devices and every time, with either HP or Dell, I have had a replacement device on my desk the very next day. It only takes a real desire, and a bit of effort and planning to accomplish this task. In comparison look at the incredibly awful support that iMate have become notorious for. They are the true example of a corporation that shows zero desire, effort or planning when it comes to customer support.

Kudos to the companies, large or small, who come through with quality support. I think they get it......Anyone can say they provide topnotch support, but few understand that every time they are asked for support they are given a very inexpensive way of proving they are a solid and dependable company to deal with. Wheras the ones that don't get it are the ones that don't realize what a valuable opportunity they have missed and how that reputation can build and have a negative impact on their future sales. They see support as being simply a cost that must be tightly controlled, not a valuable sales tool that can make the difference when a client is deciding where to make his next purchase.

Dave

MitchellO
05-21-2006, 10:50 PM
More than once I have had to exchange devices and every time, with either HP or Dell, I have had a replacement device on my desk the very next day.

I concur with this statement. I had a faulty CDRW/DVD in my previous Dell laptop, and within 3 days I had a brand new one sitting in my mailbox. All I had to do was swap the faulty drive out (which was easy because they were modular), put it in the box the new drive came in and slip it in the self-addressed post-paid envelope that was in the box.

I was very pleased with Dell for that.

Their onsite warranty was very prompt to. I filed a problem on their website, and within 2 days a tech was standing over my laptop with all the parts needed to fix it. He even replaced my minorly-scratched screen because I had completecare!!