View Full Version : Why must Windows Mobile (esp. WM5) take so long on startup? My laptop turns on faster than my phone!!

Silver5
05-20-2006, 05:07 AM
If I turn off my Qtek 9100 when I am on an airplane or just because I don't wish to be disturbed I know that I will have to wait almost 2 minutes for it to startup again. I am actually able to turn my laptop on, open Outlook, and check my PIM information faster on my laptop if both devices have to be started from a fully shutdown state. I just want to know why it takes so darn long for this little device to turn on. It just doesn't seem like it should be such a time consuming process.

Janak Parekh
05-20-2006, 10:03 PM
It's interesting that it takes that long -- either it's the way the ROM was designed or there's some software slowing it down -- but in the first place Pocket PCs aren't designed to be regularly turned off. Instead of turning the entire Pocket PC off, you may find it much more convenient to switch just the phone module off. PIM access remains instant that way.

--janak

Darius Wey
05-21-2006, 04:09 AM
It's interesting that it takes that long -- either it's the way the ROM was designed or there's some software slowing it down...

The HTC Wizard is notorious for having long boot times - usually, from 1 to 2 minutes. Fortunately, some manufacturers have released new ROMs that decrease it down to less than a minute.

Silver5
05-22-2006, 10:00 PM
It is nice to be able to turn it off completely at times that I know I just will not be using it at all. It is perfect for spending the night somewhere unexpectedly since I know I'll have plenty of battery power for the next day even if I don't get to charge it.

I have what I believe to be the latest ROM version, 2.17, and it works perfectly otherwise. I just wish the soft resets and full startups didn't take such a ridiculous amount of time.

It just seems like a common sense kind of thing, in that the little handheld should startup faster than the bulky (in comparion) laptop, but apparently not in this instance. I guess that there is still a pretty long way to go...

Janak Parekh
05-22-2006, 10:20 PM
It is nice to be able to turn it off completely at times that I know I just will not be using it at all. It is perfect for spending the night somewhere unexpectedly since I know I'll have plenty of battery power for the next day even if I don't get to charge it.
Try the phone-off trick. On WM5 devices, this really cuts down on battery usage to near-nil, since most WM5 devices have less RAM than their older cousins.

--janak

smittyofdhs
05-22-2006, 10:29 PM
there is an issue where the notification database gets filled up with bogus entries. Download the check notification freeware from here:

http://www.scarybearsoftware.com/ppc_cn_overview.html

once you install it, go into options and check both boxes. If you have a ton of duplicate entries, that's the reason for the slow down.... remove them and you will be good to go.

This freeware works for both WM2003 and WM5.