View Full Version : Best Pocket PC-Phone option in the next 4 months - Cingular????

WeldingRod
05-19-2006, 08:40 PM
Thanks in advance for any insight or information on the Best option for me....

Question: looking forward to the next 4 months of Pocket PC Phone options, and phones that use SIM cards/GSM (I.E. compatible with Cingular) what is the best option available?

I've been doing alot of research, and I wish the "HTC - Hermes" would be here in the next 2 months, but it sounds like it will be a year.

So maybe the 8125 is the best option in the time frame alotted? with comatiblity with cingular?

or would it be wise to wait for something else,.... HP6900 series?

I've never used an HP device, I usually don't like HP computers, but maybe they make good pocket PC's......

Ok so I know "Best" is a silly question, Maybe you can already answer my question without more info.

If you need more info, then read on:

Here are my objectives for the device. Versatility is always good, but I don't expect to go nuts with Skype or movies. I've never used skype, I have a laptop if I need to play movies.

The goal for this phone, is to make it so when I travel and I need information, it's in my phone instead of in my brief case, so I don't have to dig out my laptop, or my planner, or a binder to get what I need while I'm driving 80 mph down the freeway in some area of the country I've never seen before.

This is going to be my first Pocket PC, and first PDA-phone.

I've had Palm PDA (no phone) devices before, and I don't really like palm or the way they sync.

I thought I might like a WM-5 device, especially for compatibility with windows software and formats.

I know Windows crashes, and is sometimes slow, and sometimes you must reboot. I don't care, I'm used to that.

Usage:
Must be cingular service, don't have a choice here.
(Free minutes to wife who is tied into Cingular for the North Amer. plan )(minutes can be used to call Mexico, even free time minutes, so for us we have to go this route).

Business Travel - will not have company email capability, but would be nice to be able to check some emails via a web browser possibly. (especially for side business, and personal stuff)

Primary interest, be able to look up business contact info, addresses, phone numbers, directions, calender to sync with outlook, etc, etc. for appt reminders, etc. Directions either that I have saved into my phone, or directions I can somehow retrieve from the internet, or from GPS.

Wireless headset with some type of "voice-dial capability" from the head-set is mandatory.
(I gather that makes blue-tooth mandatory)

Hell even capability to find a place to eat dinner, when I'm in BFE, so web browser or GPS is an objective.

GPS is something I'd like to explore, it wouldn't be the primary use for the device, but it would be a nice perk, and something I would definately use if capable, I travel everywhere, and to many places I've never been before.

Picture capability is a bonus, I would definateley use it, a “good” 1.3 mp is fine for my usage.

Phone clarity/reception is important as this will be my primary method of communication.

Sending text messages is not a major importance, but it's nice to have the slide out keyboard, I like the capability there, especially if entering an address or contact info, or appointment, typing in locations to get directions, etc.

If I could connect to nwa.com and check in for my flight in the AM while walking out of my hotel room, I would literally peeee myself, this would be very very nice.

A camera flash that can be used as a light is a nice bonus, but not mandatory.

I know it would be a nice bonus to have wifi capability for cordless data transfer, and sync'ing to the laptop, etc. but not a deal breaker.

The ability to use the phone like a modem with my laptop to get VPN access to work is a bonus, but not a deal breaker.

Eventually I may even try to work out spreadsheet capability to keep track of data for work projects while traveling.
Compactness (to keep it as usable as possible) is important, the form factor of the 8125 or similar should not be a problem.
A jog dial for one hand usage would have been nice if the Hermes was out 
Expandable memory would be nice, as is an optional USB connection. I have a sanyo video camera that uses the flash cards, I see you can buy them in the 2gb size now 

It's one of those things, after using a pocket pc for the first time, I'm sure my objectives, and usages will change a bit, but so far this is what I know I will use.
So I appreciate any further leads, or confirmation of what the best choice for the next 4 months will be. If there is something in the next 4 months +/- coming that will be a better choice, I will wait.

If not, I will either buy an 8125 outright now, or buy one on rebates and another 2 year contract after I become elegible mid-july to save some $$$$. (Work is not paying for my phone)

I know the 8125 is a trade off of being slow, but battery life is a huge concern for me, as I often find myself out in BFE chasing stuff down, and talking to engineering on the phone... So poor battery life is not acceptable to me. In worst case scenario it has to last a full day at full tilt. 16-18 hours straight.

Thanks,

Don

Damion Chaplin
05-19-2006, 09:33 PM
I have the K-JAM, very similar to the 8125. I say go for the 8125. You get a nice deal from Cingular when you sign up for a new contract and it will do 90% of what you just outlined. Please note that you won't be able to ActiveSync over WiFi using WM5. Bluetooth is it.

ccharris1
05-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Don:

I went through your process a few months ago. I wanted a small PocketPC phone. I had used Verizon's SX66 -- a great device but too heavy and clunky. Also, I really can't use one of those "thumb" keyboards. I didn't want the expense and weight for something I can't use.

I got a great deal on a slightly used i-Mate JAMin. It is small, no keyboard, great screen, and a 2 megapixel camera. The processor is only 200 Mhz, but I really don't find it any slower than my iPAQ 4150.

Biggest hurdle is that you don't get any "deals" from Cingular on the JAMin -- you must purchase it on the open market.

That's my take on the current market.

Craig.

WeldingRod
05-20-2006, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the info guys.
I don't know, maybe 8125 is "it" for the next year.
But there is some other comparable stuff coming out....

I think I'll try to use the contract to get a better price....
I think you pay the same monthly fee wether you they helped you with the phone or not, so I'd rather let some of that monthly $$$ go towards the phone.

I started looking at the HTC universals, gulp, holy pricetag batman.
All kinds of nice features...

I saw the unit with the swivel screen and keyboard, almost $1,000.00 for that one.

YIPES!

I'm going to throw my N400 up on ebay to get some cash towards the 8125 I guess.

There are some other devices coming on the market in the next few months, but 8125 might still be the best option in that time span.

The HP seems a little too wide for my liking, or use as a phone, I don't know how well the work as a phone, but I have heard good things about the 8125... I dunno.

Thanks in advance for any other insight or ideas you guys have.

-Don