View Full Version : Did Verizon end dial-up networking?

tailwinddon
05-19-2006, 02:12 PM
Does anybody know if Verizon has ended #777 dial-up networking. I can't connect anymore and I'm trying to narrow it down to PDA, cell or phase of the moon.
Thanks
Don

Don't Panic!
05-19-2006, 02:32 PM
It was working for me earlier today.

Edgar_
05-19-2006, 04:39 PM
I understand that VZW is changing their billing on this. Dialup will not be supported under the std dataplan - there's some new thing you have to ask for and probably pay extra for.

You would think "unlimited" means unlimited. I guess they feel the dial up fits under the "Fair Use" policy - like T-Mo in the UK not allowing IM on their unlimited plan.

UGH!

DavidinCT
06-06-2006, 01:51 PM
If you have not used it for a while, they did change the logon a bit, they did this a while ago (if you were using the qnc/qnc logon), I got notes from someone and keep this on my computer, because I do use this on my ipaq over bluetooth and tested it the other day, it worked fine...Hope this helps... I did not have to use the int strings...

Verizon provides their own Internet gateway called MobileOffice. It's free to use and only costs you airtime (free nights and weekends - yay). It's actually faster to connect to Verizon's data network than making data calls to your ISP, because your data call has to go through their network anyway. MobileOffice provides speeds up to 14.4k; when making a data call to my ISP, I only got about 11k. ExpressNetwork is their high-speed service using packet data. You can get speeds up to 144k. Verizon charges a subscription fee for this service, but it is enabled on your account so that your phone can use GIN. I've never been billed for using it on occasion, but that's not to say Verizon won't start cracking down at some point.

It's relatively easy to connect to either one of these data services using Linux, Mac, or whatever. I'm posting this here because a lot of people are just dying to do this over Bluetooth. It's a matter of having the right phone number, initialization strings, and login information. See if you can procure a copy of Linux Magazine from July 2004; I have an article called "Linux on the Laptop" which discusses this in detail.
Here are most of the details:

Init String
Tells Verizon which service you're connecting to. Use ATZ to reset the modem, then:
AT$QCMDR=2 for MobileOffice or
AT$QCMDR=3 for ExpressNetwork

This loads the appropriate register specifying the service you are connecting to. As I understand it, if you don't load this register, it defaults to MobileOffice as some have reported.

Phone number
Dial #777

Authentication

To authenticate with MobileOffice, use qnc as both your login and password.
To use ExpressNetwork, use [10-Digit Phone Number]@vzw3g.com as your login and vzw as your password.

In both cases, you'll need to support CHAP to get connected. If you're running Linux* (as all people should be), you'll need to edit /etc/ppp/chap-secrets. It's very important that you find out how to support CHAP or you will receive CHAP authentication failures.

* The DUN gateway is on BT channel 8. See my Linux T30 Page for more information on DUN and BT, and how to bind to it from Linux.