View Full Version : ActiveSync - UGH! ARRGH!

possmann
05-16-2006, 04:45 PM
OK - ever since I moved to the 4.x version I have not had a succesful sync. My treo will sit there and connect but activesync will not sync the information - it will appear as if it is just looking, then after about 2-3 minutes will error out saying that an error occured (nothing is logged on my Treo or on the computer) and I will have to reconnect the device and try again.

The odd thing is that I am still able to connect to the device - install applications (I installed the upgrade from Verizon/Palm) and read files, move files back and forth between my Treo and between the computer - why oh why can't it sync the data?

Anyone have the same problems? And yes I disabled the firewall completely and no other blockers running either - all to no avail. The only thing I haven't done yet is to do a hard reset of my Treo. I'm a little bit concerned about doing that...

Anyone have any suggestions?

ntractv
05-17-2006, 01:50 AM
What apps do you have installed? I had the same problem only to discover that Pocket Money 2006 was not WM5 compatible. Not all apps are WM5 compliant.

Eriq Cook
05-17-2006, 07:24 AM
You shouldn't have to hard reset your Treo. I had more problems with 4.1 than 4.2 Beta. You might want to try the upgrade (keep in mind it's BETA, though):

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/activesync42.mspx

possmann
05-17-2006, 07:17 PM
I've done this (upgraded) and still the same results. I have not installed any programs on the device either - it is how it came...

Any other suggestions?

Eriq Cook
05-18-2006, 01:35 AM
Only other thing I can suggest is to delete the partnership and create a new one. You won't loose the data already on your PC. With the Treo disconnected, open ActiveSync and select "delete partnership" from the file menu. I've had to do this to resolve some sync issues with AS4.1 so it may work.
Keep me posted.

possmann
05-18-2006, 02:58 AM
been there done that... no change - sigh the more I think about this the more I am leaning to hard reset - ugh

Janak Parekh
05-18-2006, 04:19 AM
You can try repairing your Office/Outlook install, optionally followed by a reinstall of ActiveSync.

By the way -- is Outlook on the machine in question set up to store data locally, remotely, or what?

--janak

possmann
05-18-2006, 02:07 PM
outlook repair - hmmm... haven't thought of that one. I'll try that on the home pc tonight.

My home PC - stores locally, work (exchange) and tablet locally.

Unreal32
05-22-2006, 04:05 PM
I had this problem, too, and here is what resolved it for me: I found that I also could not use our company's VPN while Activesync was running, so the solution to the other non-synching problem was actually almost an accidental result of my solution to the VPN issue; I first made sure Outlook was in "Online" mode instead of running offline, and then I did an IR sync, with the power cord plugged in. I let it run for something like 40 minutes, and it synched properly (without all the other errors I had been getting previously). Now I synch rather quickly and can use Outlook in offline mode, and can also use the sync cable now (as long as I don't want to be in the VPN) to do a synch with my offline info.

So... If it were me, I would try to

(A) run a sync while Outlook is online, if possible, and
(B) run the sync through IR instead of through USB

Hope that helps!

Eric